Are any of you actively involved in politics?

I mean, aside from bitching on CM? Do any of you go out and work with a party on issues? How do you get involved in doing that?

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't actually bitch on CM, but I used to be involved before I had children. My son was extremely premature and had a lot of health issues so that sort of consumed my whole life for the last nearly 2 yrs.... BUT I do plan on becoming involved again.... I've caught the bug...
    AggieMamacita

Answer by AggieMamacita at 2:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• You can sign up to volunteer by going to the party's website or the website of the candidate of your choice. When you donate money, they often ask you if you'd like to become involved in other ways, too. I've been involved in various campaigns, and it's always very rewarding work. We are now best friends with many of the folks we've met through our party work. It's a great way to meet people that share your same values and ideas. My daughter came along with me every time I went to the Obama headquarters here in Boston. She played with other volunteers' kids while I worked. You can also network with others from your party of choice by going to Meetup.com and searching for political groups in your area. These groups are active throughout the year and often do wonderful work in the community. It's definitely enriched my life in many ways.

StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 2:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• As a follow-up, becoming involved in your community is much more productive and rewarding than sitting around complaining. :)
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 2:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Which is what I want to do, just looking for opportunities to do that with three kids in tow. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Go for it!! Many of the other volunteers had children in tow...everyone would share toys and keep an eye on each others' kids while we worked. Some older children helped stuff envelopes prepare mailings, assemble information kits, etc. It gives your kids a great education in civics, and they get to meet lots of amazing people. :)
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 3:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I am a member of :
    Heritage.org
    my local Republican Club
    As well as an active volunteer with my local Republican Headquarters.

I am also involved in my local school board, active in the city council meeting, and am active member of my local Chamber of Commerce... All of which are political in their own respects...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I got involved by attending meetings and meeting people. It's turned out to be a wonderful opportunity for me to become a active member in my community as well which is rewarding in itself. Through one of my groups, we have developed a moms group and it has been a gret outlet to walk the park with kids, play golf or tennis, go out for MNO to have dinner and discuss politics.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Yes, I worked for an Aulderman in my city for a while, I keep up with what is going on in my city, county, state, and country. I also studied PlySci in school. So yes.
    Tayandstevenmom

Answer by Tayandstevenmom at 3:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I work part time with my local registrars office doing data entry and anything else they need during the election season.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 9:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• when it comes to issues in my community yes.I was opposed on a law that they ( city council) wanted to pass.I walked around door to door asking for sigmnatures it gets me mad at the people who did not sign my petition and did not want to open the door but those are fthe first people wheo complain it drives me crazy.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 4:06 AM on Nov. 9, 2008