Should I let my 15 year old daughter get her belly button pierced?

suzyQ965

Asked by suzyQ965 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My daughter cannot pierce or tattoo anything beyond her ears (once) until she can do so with out my money or signature.
    Same goes with my sons - no piercings or tattoos til they can sign and pay on their own LEGALLY.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:00 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No

Answer by admckenzie at 11:00 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• no
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Are you ready for her to be showing off her belly section all the time? With a "decoration", that's exactly what she will be doing. My DDs weren't allowed to pierce their belly buttons till they were 18.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:02 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I would. But I have nothing against piercings (my 9 year old dd has 3 sets of earrings)... I pierced my own when I was 13. I would definitely have been better off if my parents had taken me to get it done professionally.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:00 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Not my daughter! That's innapropriate. What does a 15 yo want to do with that? Show guys? I'm not against piercings and tatoos. I have them both, however, when she is old enough to walk in the shop on her own, we'll talk.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't. If she gets it done, she's gonna want to show it to somebody. I would not want my 15-year old girl exposing that much of her anatomy to the general population.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Thank you all for your answer. I just wanted to know that I wasn't being over protective. I agree with the no's of course.
    suzyQ965

Comment by suzyQ965 (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I've got nothing against piercings, per se, but the navel piercing is prone to infections if not cared for well and can take a long time to heal. I agree with the sexualization issues mentioned above. Not to mention, if I had a 15 year old daughter, I would seriously object to the $130 it's going to cost to have done - I'm certain there are much more responsible uses for that cash.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:05 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Nope. When she is 18 and can pay for it herself. I am not against piercings or tats. I am very much in favor of personal responsibility for them.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:05 AM on Dec. 6, 2010