What is the CafeMom Encyclopedia?

Has anyone given birth at home?

And if so was it planned or unplanned and what was your experience like. I am pregnant with my 5 child and I am worried about an unplanned home birth. I have precipitous labors so I have to be extra careful to make sure I get to the hospital in enough time to deliver.

elffyefli

Asked by elffyefli at 11:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a home birth. It was planned. I had a midwife.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have not. I would ask your doctor what to do in case you do go into full labor before you can leave the house. I would imagine calling 911 would be a good idea.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yep, definetly calling 911 if it happens.
    SweetLuci: I wanted a midwife this time, but our insurance doesnt cover and we cant afford it on our own. How was that for you?
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 11:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have not give birth at home, although with my second child I almost did. I do not have normal labors and never have transition so I go from feeling a little different to fully dilated in a short period of time. When I called the doctor with my second child they said, soulds like you are still in the early stages of labor. I called him at 6:30 and my son was born at 7:20. Because of this when I had my third child I was induced. I am not saying that inducing is always necessary, although sometimes it is. You might want to talk with your doctor about this. It might help put your mind at ease and make things a little better.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Not yet, but, I do plan on having one with my next child. If all goes will, it will be a midwife assisted home birth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes, i had a planned home birth & it was the most wonderful experience i have ever had in my entire life. I will never give birth in a hospital. I'm lucky though....my dad is a Dr.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:21 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Cornflake, you sound exactly like me with your labors! I never know I am in labor until my water breaks, and i go from feeling to fine to having to push in a few seconds. My longest labor was 6.5 hrs. all of my other were 1.5hrs. My last two docs opted to keep me and break my water at 4cm just to make sure that I delivered at the hospital.
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 11:23 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I thought about it but was too afraid of complications, and my gut said no! but good luck with yours, I am sure it will be an event to remember.

Answer by older at 12:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No I haven't, but really wanted to. I had to many complications, good thing I didn't.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 1:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I had planned home birth with my 2nd ad I loved it, to be away from the stress of the hospital, the pressure of the nurses and the constant interuption. I know you are not planning a home birth but if you are afraid it's going to happen just make sure you are prepared. If this is your 5th you should be a pro at it by now. Don't worry. Just head for the hossi at the 1st signs just in case. I hate to encourage inducion but maybe it being your 5tth and possible short labor, perhaps you cold get your dr to induce you at 38 wks just in case
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 11:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2010