3 year old - how common is this?

My son has been potty trained for like 2-3 months now - day and night - he still has accidents about 1-2 times at night and 2 times a week with day poop or pee - is this common for newly potty trained children? my husband gets upset but I think as he is a "new" 3 year old, this would be common for a few months? Its usually when he's left to play by himself - we still have to constantly ask him if he has to go or I think he'd have even more accidents...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, it's normal. He may still have accidents for a while yet. Especially when he's playing. Kids tend to get "too busy" while they are playing. They get wrapped up in what they are doing, or flat out just decide not to take the time to head to the bathroom. Reminding him during his playing will him a lot. As for during the night, that is normal too. Kids sleep so deeply that they don't wake up when they need to go in the night. Try to cut off liquids about an hour before bedtime. A SIP at bedtime to wet his whistle is okay. And, make sure to have him go to the bathroom right before goinf to sleep. These things will help. But, he is still new at this. It will take time. And, your husband getting mad at him will NOT help. It will only make your son feel worse about himself and could cause a set-back.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes this is totally common. Usually when kids first start to learn they need to be reminded because they get distracted easily and if they are playing they aren't going to want to stop to pee or poop. They are afraid they are going to miss out on something. I would give it some time and maybe set a timer up. That way if you are busy and he is playing by himseld the timer will go off and remind everyone that he needs to try and go potty.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Tell your husband he's been in diapers for 3 YEARS, its going to take longer than 2 - 3 months for him to get the hang of it. He's used to going any where at any time in his pants, so he's going to forget. He's also not used to recognizing when he has to go until he's reached threshold so if he's distracted he's going to have an accident. Night training will take a bit longer if he's not used to waking up in the middle of the night. You can help that by watching when he naturally stirs or when he usually has his accidents and wake him to go to the bathroom.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Once my children were FULLY potty trained, there were no daytime accidents. Night time accidents urine accidents can occur until a child goes through puberty.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:15 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Some are going to say-He isn't potty trained- dont worry.
    It is ok. Having accidents shows him the "why" he needs to put it in the toilet. Explain this to him.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 11:16 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think it just differs from child to child my son is three and also been potty trained for three months but he has maybe only had four accidents total in those months. Just keep up what your doing and he will get a hang of it.
    Raindew

Answer by Raindew at 11:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2010