When women get together what can they talk about besides gossiping?

It's easy to get sucked into gossip, but what do you talk about when trying not to gossip?
I have some friends that, that's all they do...and I want to talk about stuff or learn some techniques to avert that situation of gossiping.....I still want to keep my friends though! lol
Any suggestions and/or advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• I will warn you, I am not a gossiper, and I am usually the last person sought out for conversation. Normally when someone says something negative or gossips I will either say I hadn't heard that or just nod and completely change the subject. Changing the subject usually works well one on one, but when there's a group it's harder to steer away from the juicy stuff. Just don't comment, try to ask questions and bring up current events that will keep things rolling without gossiping. GL (it's a jungle out there lol)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• recipes, cleaning tips, craft projects, books they are reading

I have a friend who has once a month craft night. the women get together and do a craft..they dont do the same one they just bring their own stuff and work on a project. One may be sewing curtains and another painting something and one scrapbooking. Its a nice way to spend time and they share ideas.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We usually talk about our relationships with our DH, what's going on with them. We talk about our kids A LOT! We talk girl talk mostly...sex, life, romance, kids, work, being a SAHM. Sometimes we gossip, but i'm not a big gossiper...i don't really care about other people's business.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:23 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• sex :)
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Well, when I get together with my friends, we talk about how things are going at work (or the job hunt), or finding an apartment, or whatever movie/tv show/book we're currently obsessing. If the friend is a writer too, we discuss our current project, or maybe a scene we're having trouble with. We tell stories about "remember the time?" or something that's happened since the last time we saw each other.

Then we gossip. j/k
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We talk about lots of different things when I'm with my friends. We talk about movies, books, vacations, problems with our kids and husbands. Maybe you could try starting a conversation before the gossiping starts. Like if there is a new movie you want to see talk about that. We also talk about schools and sports. Sometimes we gossip I just think it is natrual, although as I have gotten older I try to do it less. I think the key is to not giving in to the conversation and trying to change the subject.

If it is really something that bothers you then you could tell them that. I am not sure how strong your friendships are, so your friends might get mad about this. If you don't think they will get mad you might say something like "Hey can we talk about something other then gossiping about this person."

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You can talk about what is happening in your town,your state or in the country or the world. You can discuss something you read in the paper or online. There IS more to life than gossiping about people....you can talk about celebrities' accomplishments or something new you learned about science or a class you are taking or a cute thing one of your kids said ,etc.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• MEN, FAMILY, NEWS, TOPIC OF THE DAY.....I am a single mom and I get with a group of single moms once a month and we talk about everything except each other relationship or whats goes on in each home...thats a part of the contract. And I will say that it is stress free and less drama/gossip.
    mom42107

Answer by mom42107 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• School, kids, local news, clothes, shoes, our lives in general. I refuse to talk about my Hubby when he's not physically there, so I talk as if he were right there beside me. It's not just "me" anymore, it's "we"... That usually keeps the gossiping to a minimum when I'm around other women. I'm pretty blunt as well so if I hear someone say something out of line about someone that's not there, I will defend them. I don't care what anyone thinks, it keeps the BS to a minimum.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I actually don't gossip with the few friends I have. The single ones always keep me up to date with their current dating woes plus we talk about kids, shopping, whatever.
    With my married friend we talk about our husbands, kids, cleaning, life in general.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2010