Boss not paying attention to my work

I have been working on a letter of interest for a very large grant. My boss had actually asked me to contact a certain provider to solicit their interest. The issue is, the provider wants an idea that is original overall (that has not been duplicate in any research journal from any national database). Well, I created a hypothesis of income recovery (can't be specific-competitive world - hope you understand). After all these weeks of email updates and word-ins, I just started a quick breezeway meeting with my boss. I told her that I wanted her input because the turn-in deadline is tomorrow. She said that she wanted to hold off because she wanted another statistical research (that's already been done nationally, but not internally). She said that she thinks my hypothesis is about why people default. I had to restate my hypothesis, which was totally different. This proves to me that she has not been reading anything I've been sending to her. We will be missing tomorrow's deadline!!!!!
>:-(

What could I have done to prevent this without being a pester to my boss?

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 11:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'd go over her head.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Well, it's probably too late now, but you probably should have had periodic meetings with her throughout the whole process to make certain you were both on the same page.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Im going to agree with hotmama, instead of sending her things to read, schedule face to face meetings. Theres a lot less chance of misunderstanding or leaving things open for interpretation that way!!! Sorry you missed the deadline!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• HotMama, true. I thought because of all the updates that I have been sending her, and the lack of notice from her- that everything was fine. I assumed that she reads her emails thoroughly. I do poke my head into her office every morning.

BlueSaphire

Comment by BlueSaphire (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• HotMama & seweetstkissz22, I will do that from now on Thanks :-)
    BlueSaphire

Comment by BlueSaphire (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Were you sending weekly status updates?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• rkoloms,

Yes, I was. All copies were both by email and paper.
    BlueSaphire

Comment by BlueSaphire (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010