How do you forgive and forget when hes cheated?

I keep thinking it would be so much easier if he had just slept with someone, but he was actually seeing her...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• I tried with my ex to forget, but couldn't. It was always in the back of my mind. I did forgive him. However, later I found out he never stopped cheating. I hated the way it made me feel when I couldnt forget. Looking back, I'm grateful he messed up so I could find Mr. Right. Not just Mr. Almost right
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:46 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• imo emotional affairs are alot more painful than physical. my hubby did that to me more times then i want to admit here on cm, before we were married but while i was carrying his child. anyway im still with him, ive let it go and moved on. it was almost 3 years ago and there have been no more infidelities. we never went to counseling but we probably should've to help clear the air. if you both want to work on it i would highly suggest counseling. the forgiving part is hard, but the forgetting part is nearly impossible. it's an emotional scar that takes years to heal, if ever.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't know if you can really forget... I couldn't
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:39 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I can forgive after a long period of time but I will never forget. I would say get rid of the selfish bastard and find yourself a real good man
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Nope I've dumped every cheater in my life. I didnt before but he cheated again and again and again.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You may can forgive but you will never forget. It gets easier over time but you will have days where you will be mad at the world. But if you are willing and he is willing to try to make it work more than likely it will.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 11:41 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I am divorced... reason... because I COULD NOT forget, every weird phone call, working half an hour late.... I always thought about it and that he may be doing it again.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:42 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You can't really. My husband is an internet whore and I tried forgiving him, but I can't forget it and that causes a HUGE rift in trust for me. I'm waiting till my teaching job is over (I currently reside in a foreign country) and then I'm going file for divorce. I love him, he's a great father, but it's not worth me stressing every time he's on a computer wondering what he's up to.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:42 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You forgive for YOU, not him. Forgetting is a terribly difficult thing to do. As you said..he didn't have a one night stand. He had an emotional affair. Is he willing to work on this with you? If so, find a counselor to see. They can help you work through this. Whether the relationship continues or not, you still need to work through it so that you will be able to move forward with life, and other relationships of trust.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:43 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You can never forget, you may forgive.

Trust was broken and it is going to take years to get that back.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:43 AM on Dec. 6, 2010