Is there ever a point when all the things we "should" do becomes unfeasible and unfundable?

Poor people (don't forget in your responses, that's me) have a laundry list of needs.

Evidently, at the top of it, is medical insurance. Also, unemployment extensions again. Expanses in the free lunch program. None of these things paid for, mind you, just a list of needs.

I am *not* saying these things are bad in and of themselves.

But what is YOUR, personal, breaking point? At what point do YOU say that we don't expand any more programs or create any more entitlements?
Why do you feel how you do?

How much debt can we possibly be in to "take care" of people? What is the solution to the deficit, to all the money we owe China, to the fact that by 2050 or so, the entire amount the federal government takes in will all be paid in interest only to China, leaving no money left for Defense or entitlements, or anything else, for that matter?

What point do YOU say enough? What programs would you then cut? Who could you, personally, say no to?

PS, I also know that entitlements make up a small percentage of our burden. What I'm concerned about, specifically, is the growth with new programs and expanding of the old, as well as when EVERYONE will say enough.

Just curious. Also, again, to be clear, I WANT there to be a safety net. Just want to know when you think we should lay off the programs until we are in the green again.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:46 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Irresponsible is passing a whole brand new multi-trillion dollar entitlement program with open ended costs (aka HCR) in the MIDDLE of a recession. The status quo was workable, and while there'd be some complaining about expenses, the impact wouldn't have been as long lasting or deep if there wasn't a whole new mess holding the economy hostage even if it doesn't "officially" kick in for 4 years.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:50 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We passed up that point a while back!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• yes, there is. If unemployment is extended, BUSINESSES will have to pay more to cover it (they pay for that, just like workman's comp). So when businesses close because they can't afford to be open, we will only be worse off. As far as other programs, i think there is so much fraud in them that the entire system needs an overhaul before we even THINK of expanding them. I understand that many people NEED them, but the sad fact is that many take advantage simply because they qualify, yet don't necessarilly NEED them. JMH&HO.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I agree, more of the unemployment burden should fall to the buisness' shoulders. I like a lot of these programs, but feel that they
    A) last much too long and provide too much. Less $ per dependant.
    B) Should not be federally managed. I think these programs are best left to state and local authorities.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Irresponsible is passing a whole brand new multi-trillion dollar entitlement program with open ended costs (aka HCR) in the MIDDLE of a recession.

or starting 2 wars??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You'll know we are broke when Congress has to WORK for a living, PAY for their own lunches, their own health care....

There are MANY other things we can and SHOULD cut before killing the poor.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I agree with sweet!

Answer by older at 1:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I agree with Anon - we've hit that point - that is why states and government are pushing back.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We have hit the point. I agree.
    The till is dry. Cut the rope, sink or swim.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I guess it really depends on your idea of what we "need". Many of those things we do not need. Life is not perfect and you cannot fix everything that is wrong in this world. Right now, because of just that attitude that we must try is why we are where we are now. We now must do what it takes to change it and it will hurt many people needlessly.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2010