Who out there today teaches there children to take responsibility for there actions, grow up to be strong, And not to cry over spilled milk?? And how do you teach them??

Back in the day, children did not fuss and wine over small things.They were taught to have values, respect, and they earned what they got.Because of all these things that they were taught , they became stronger emotionaly and new how to handle the smallest of things.What happened??

meleia396

Asked by meleia396 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's a tough question. My husband and I kind of balance each other out. When he's tough and suck it up, but I see my kid needs to talk, I'll take them aside and nurture a little bit. When my husband isn't around, I tell my kids to be strong, move through it, life isn't fair, et cetera, et cetera. My goal is to raise strong, independent children, but at the same time know that they always have a safe place to fall and be who they are and not who someone else may want them to be. Maybe not a popular answer, I know.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I teach my daughter and stepson the same way my grandparents taught me. I like instilling the "old fashioned" ideas so they learn the right way.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:57 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Oh Yeah------------> Good question. Yes, I also taught my children just like I was taught. My children were also given the choice of full time school and living at home after graduation or full time job and move out. I am thankful that my children are both on their own and doing great! I don't believe in any sugar coating... It's sink or swim.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• That is a really good answer amy. It sounds like your doing a good job!
    meleia396

Comment by meleia396 (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Oh man, I wish I had the quote in front of me, this same topic (nostalgia for "the good old days" of parenting) came up in a group here, and this one awesome mama just nailed it, describing how EVERY generation thinks the same thing - that kids used to obey but now they don't etc etc. Anyway, she had this AWESOME quote from - get this - four THOUSAND eight hundred years ago!!!!!!!!!!! Literally THOUSANS of years ago, people were saying the same thing: What has this world come to, kids used to obey their parents but now they don't, etc etc.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes it is a good thing to do but it depends on the situation. If your child is being hurt in some way that is not right then i do not think that advice applies.
    seashore29

Answer by seashore29 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2010