Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I refuse to pay rent if they don't fix my refrigator?

My son and I told the manager that our fridge is not working and we told him this 5 days in a row now and there is an infant in the house and he knows this but will not fix our fridge. So what can I do?????????????????

Answer Question

Asked by beautinna at 11:59 AM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Call an attorney.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • No you cannot refuse to pay RENT.. but this happened to us a long time ago and all of our groceries went bad! We brought them a list of everything in the fridge that was ruined and demanded to be reimbursed for it, which they did.

    Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • You cannot withhold rent for that reason. Can you pick up a cheap fridge at a thrift store??

    Answer by m-avi at 12:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • Buy one yourself or have it repaired and deduct it from your rent.

    Answer by older at 12:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • Check renter's laws in your state. It's not as easy as just not paying your landlord, it's usually put into an escrow account until the repairs are completed.

    Answer by CraftingMama at 12:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • Check your lease. Ours says the fridge and stove are our responsibility. If they break we have to fix or replace them. Sucks but it is what it is. Same thing was in our lease at our old place. Well, after our new landlord took over. He came the day after Thanksgiving for us to sign it and explained the clause because it was different from the previous owners. We said, ok, signed and the next morning we woke up to a non-working fridge, lol. All our thanksgiving stuff went bad and we had to spend $500 right before Christmas to get a new one.

    Answer by justanotherjen at 12:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • I think that you can withhold rent but it has to be in a bank account so that when he fixes the problems then the rent is there. But I would contact an attorney to find out all your options.

    Answer by sue118 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • Look at your rental agreement. Sometimes there are prohibitive clauses as to what you can do. Generally, if you give the manager WRITTEN notice of the problem they have a 'reasonable' time in which to fix it. If they do not you have the right to repair the problem yourself and deduct the repairs from the rent. The key is "reasonable time" . Many cities have a housing authority. Check to see if you have one. They will be more able to tell you your rights locally. The sometimes help arbitrate these kinds of problem. Good Luck.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • Yes you can, but you have to get it in writing legally with the help of a lawyer & get it notarized. There are rules that every landlord has to abide by & they differ from state to state. For instance, in MA landlords have to provide water. Here in GA, they do not have to.

    Get it in writing either through a lawyer or paralegal that you will not pay rent until it is fixed. You can send it certified mail with return reciept so that you'll have proof he got the letter. If he takes you to court, he will be the one at fault. BUT, make sure you read your lease aggreement first & make sure you know it well.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 12:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • If your lease specifically says the fridge is your responsibility, then no you cannot....

    BUT, i had a friend who did this because he landlord would not fix her AC. She refused to pay rent until it was fixed. He tried to take her to court & HE was ordered to pay for a new AC unit by the judge.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 12:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.