Xmas presents and family

do you ever really loathe spending what little money you have on presents for people you only speak to a few times on the phone a year, and see them even less?

They are family but they have no role in my day-to-day life and I just hate feeling obligated to send a present rather than just wanting to. It feels more political and diplomatic than something charitable and loving.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 12:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We only send gifts to close family. Everyone else might get a card. I feel no obligation to send anyone a gift. Those that I give, I give because I want to.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• AMEN Girl. lol
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I send christmas cards and thats it. I do send presents to my nephews though.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I only exchange gifts with immediate family.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We only exchange gifts amoung those who live at our home. Everyone else gets a holiday greeting card.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• we send out Christmas cards, but ever since our son was born I informed all the family that the money we spend on gifts is going to be for his gifts-we have too many family members to be buying for everyone so from now on its just us, that way they knew they didn't have to feel like they needed to buy for us either-now the ONLY time we buy gifts for other family is if we are spending Christmas with them-but if there are going to be alot of us then we will either draw names or not buy at all.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My hubs and I have cut our buying down, we buy for our kids, our parents and my sis and I do give money to our favorite niece and to 4 of the 6 great niece/nephews. Hubs siblings and the rest of the family we just give christmas cards to-- no money, no gifts.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• amen.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010