When I was 18, I went to open a bank account, and they asked me for my social security card cause they already had my ssn in the system under someone else, so I gave it to them and they fixed it. Not thinking anything at the time, I am now 24, but last summer I went to Social Security and said that I thought someone was using my SSN, and they told me theres nothing that can be done unless I have some sort of proof.. Is there anything I can do to find out?

MommaKayleigh1

Asked by MommaKayleigh1 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• Run your credit report and see if anything looks odd.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• credit check...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i would think they'd be the only people capable of verifying such a claim. they should be able to look up your number and see what's been used under it, like bank accounts, housing, etc. then you could tell them if you have done that stuff or if you haven't. last year, my wallet was stolen with my ssn in it (stupid me) and the ss office put some sort of "flag" on my number so that anytime myself or anyone used anything with my number they'd be extra cautious to make sure it was really me. sorry i dont have better info for you, hope you get it straightened out though! GL
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Agreed, a credit check is the only way.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• That happened to me. What a mess! It took 7yrs to get it straightened out. You need to check your credit history from all 3 credit bureau agency's and see if they are taking loans out in your name or anything suspicious. If they are, file a police report. If they are taking things out using your ssn, then most likely they are not paying for it. So then you have to contact all the collection agencies and go from there. You will most likely have to call them a million times before its all said and done. The sooner you get this taken care of the better. GL!

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I used to work for an Identity theft protection agency and if you do not have this service I would suggest you look in to getting it, a lot of banks offer it free of charge or you can go through a service like lifelock, creditreport.com etc. Now as for your problem goes there is a couple things you can do step one is going to be pull your credit report you are entitled to one free report a year from each of the credit agencies through the government website annualcreditreport.com once you pull your credit report inspect everything on there, if there is anything out of place that you did not authorize file a dispute with each of the three credit agencies Transunion, equifax, and Experian it is important you file the dispute with all three so they can put a fraud alert on your credit report, what this will do is it will stop who every has your ssn from obtaining anything else on your credit they then will do an investigation
    Brycensmommy512

Answer by Brycensmommy512 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• The social security administration would only know if there were two people paying in to your account. They only track your income until you qualify to collect social security income.  They don't track your credit history the way the credit bureaus do.  But still you would think they would be interested.

And there are exactly 1,000,000,000 number combinations.  That is 1 Billion with a B.  They havn't run out.  Nobody is supposed to be sharing.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• 123-45-6789 = 1,000,000,000 possiblities. Don't worry, we are no out of SSN's yet, lol.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• once the investigation is complete which will more than likely make you file a police report and spend tons of time on the phone with different people they will remove these invalid credit lines from your name and it has been a while but I beleive that once you have been a victim of identity theft you may be eligible to obtain a new ssn so that it does not happen again. I hope this helps you, and please keep in mind some little tips that will help you big time, never leave your ssc in your wallet, always shred all documents with any important information on them before throwing away, never give your ssn out to anyone who calls you this is usually a scam, if you have to write down your social at a business for any reason ensure that the business disposes it correctly so that no one can obtain your information. Good luck I hope you get it all resolved.
    Brycensmommy512

Answer by Brycensmommy512 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I tried to get a new ssn. The ss office said even if they did give me a new number, my old one would still be attached to me. How they explained it to me nothing would actually be solved.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010