Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about abuse

I want to know what people think about this.

My Husbands brother is 26 and living at home with his parents. He has alot of issues. He won't grow up and become a responsible adult. He will say things just to get attention like " I'm going to kill myself to make it easier for you guys" which is extremely serious but I think he does it to get a rouse out of people. Anyway, today he lost his job because he simply never goes, and he and his mother got in an argument and he punched her. They still are going to let him live there! Makes no sense to me. What would you do if you were in this moms shoes?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • Kick him to the curb and stop enabling him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • The man won't grow up because he doesn't have to. I am sorry, you will either work or go to shool living under my roof. You make the choice not to go, you make the choice not to live here.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • His mother is the only person who can change anything.. I am in a situation with my mother enabeling my sister.... It is very hard to step back .... I have had many of talks with my mother and it did no good until my sister ended up owing $2,500.00... So I say just step back no matter how hard it is...

    Answer by JamiesMom08 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • The police need to be called and he needs to be arrested.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • He should not be hitting anyone let alone his mother. If she won't press charges then I don't know if the police can do anything. However if she is elderly and he is abusing her and taking advantage of her it might be different.

    Answer by mrswright1170 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

  • It is domestic abuse. (That covers all family members, not just spouses/SO) if the police are called at the time he will be taken to jail and the police will charge him, she does not have to do it. Now, several hours after the incident, if they are called she may have to. If she is elderly it may come under the label of elder abuse, which is covered by many of the same laws as child abuse.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.