i want to know if its wrong for me to take my 2and a half year old and my 4 yr old sippie cups away?

okay im a mom of 6 children my 3 older children are 18, 14, 12 they are from my first marriage which their father is deceased. But n e how he was very discipliary man and so when he passed away i kept up with it. now i remarried and i have now a 4, 2, 1 yr old and from this marriage we all live together and my husband dosent have a clue about discipling. And so my problem is that all day long my kids just wants me or my husband to be getting up to fill their cups again maybe thru out the day i fill them up like 6 times then he comes out at noon then we both continue the same thing now we even gave them baby bottles cuz we were out in the stores and we forgot there sippie cups so my husband bought them baby bottles. now they want those and the sippie cup. Ive tried taking them away and i've suceeded thru out the day wen my husband is gone but as soon as he gets home they ask him an he gives in.So what do you suggest I do.

aida1212

Asked by aida1212 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• If the kids are thirsty, fill up their sippy cups. Taking a sippy cup away is not DISCIPLINING THEM. It is mean.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Sippie cups I dont see a problem with they prevent spills in my house and keep my carpet looking descent that and water like bottles. The bottles just throw out or put away even where hubby can't find them. As for continuously filling them maybe have a few for each child fill them all at once with water juice milk or whatever and put them in the fridge where your children can reach them or for you to just have to grab in a pinch. Works for me.

Raindew

Answer by Raindew at 12:20 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• A four year old with a sippie? I never gave my child a sippie because I don't like them and when I was in school we had a daycare and we were constantly told that it is best to start open bottles and cups when they get to be about a year old. I think that would be the best option for you. I understand it gets messy sometimes but they will have to learn eventually and if you go out just water bottles and fill them up. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run especially with your youngest.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Throw the sippy cups away, get them regular cups and a little step ladder, teach them how to get their own water, the 2 yr old will still need help, but the 4 yr old can Soo do it on his/her own
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think I'm a little confused. Do you mean that you don't want them to have access to fluids all day? You want them to stop drinking?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Oh and the dentist had also recommended me to take the sippie cups away. its more like a habbit cuz they finsh it and then they ask for more in regular little cup by the table they dont want it. so thats when i feel bad for them.
    aida1212

Comment by aida1212 (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• the 4 year old has long surpassed the sippy cup phase. i have a 4 year old as well and she occasionally still drinks out of cups with straws but never with a spout. at 2 is when you start teaching them how to use a regular cup. it takes some practice obviously and lots of spills but it's something everyone needs to learn.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• When kids are thirsty, they need to drink. How would you feel if you had to rely on someone for your drink needs and then have them refuse you. Your four year old does not need a bottle, let alone a sippy cup. That's a bit ridiculous at that age IMO. At four years of age they are perfectly capable of filling up a glass with water and getting their own drink that way. You can't deprive your kids of liquids because you don't feel like going fill up their cups numerous times a day.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Just take away the sippy cups and give them regular cups. Both my 1 and 3 year old can use a regular cup, but I do on occasion give them a sippy cup when I really don't want them to spill. Maybe start only giving them water in the sippy cups and anything else they want - milk, juice - has to come in a regular cup? And even if you can't get hubby on board with you, do it was much as you can, but try to get him to do the same, whatever you do.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Oh no for the person who was a little confused? no the problem is not about drinking fliuds im all for that. Im okay with then drinking no my problem is wether taking a sippie cup away or not cuz they wake up at night and even tru out the day asking to get their sippie cups filled up but if i put a cup of drink on the table so they can sit down and drink they wont. I feel like they are still on the bottle. Im trying to get my 1 yr old off the bottle but seeing the others wont help.
    aida1212

Comment by aida1212 (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2010