My son is 11 months old and is constantly hitting and clawing and biting me, and he also already throws himself backwards in a tantrum, I dont like the idea of spanking, but I tried what the doctors said and pulled his hands away, said no firmly, spanked the top of his hands, put him down, and nothing seems to work, is there anything else I can do?

MommaKayleigh1

Asked by MommaKayleigh1 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ignor it, put headphones on if you have to. Give him attention when he is quiet.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It's not too early for a short time out. I hate the idea of smacking hands rather than spanking - hitting your child is hitting your child.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• he is just a baby... spanking will only make things worse and TEACH aggression.. just be consistent and say NO Firmly and strongly - over and over and over.. within the next month or so , he'll get the hang of it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I believe there is a BIG difference in spanking and abusing. If that was my child he would be getting a swat on the bottom or hand (to get his attention). Tell him NO________________ and makes sure he understands that he is supposed to "love" not "hurt" people or himself. Tis is just my opinion though.

Sooner_Momma

Answer by Sooner_Momma at 12:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I agree with samurai. Ignore the bad behavior. If he starts to act out, put him down calmly and ignore him. This way, he will realize he will only get what he wants (to be held) when he is behaving nicely.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't understand people who say hit your child to teach him not to hit??? Makes no sense to me! But anyway to each their own! I agree with samurai. Just ignore it put him down and walk away...he won't like that and he will get the picture after a month or sooner. Just hang in there and be as patient and calm as possible. I know it can be challenging. Head up momma and remember this to will pass.
    NaturalMomOfTwo

Answer by NaturalMomOfTwo at 4:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• he may be doing it for attention but you could just ignor it and if that doesn't help sorry to say but a little swat on the butt and then a firm no so that he gets the picture.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think the best bet is to 1) Tell him NO and put some authority into it 2) remove him from the current situation, I'd say a playpen is your best bet and give him 5 minutes or so 3) Reiterate that NO after the timeout. I don't know how good I'd be at ignoring a mid-tantrum kiddo (hence the removing and space between you). There has to be a CONSEQUENCE for his bad behavior or he may start abusing others too.
    Nawti

Answer by Nawti at 11:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I agree with removing him from the situation. HOWEVER... please remember that a child's attention span is directly related to their age. To remove him for 5 minutes will do nothing, because his attention span is only roughly 1 minute long. Time-outs should reflect their age and attention span... otherwise he sits there and then just thinks he's sitting in the playpen because he literally forgets that he hit you 2-3 minutes ago. Your reaction to his actions needs to be immediate. If you put him in a playpen and ignore him for 5min, he has forgotten what happens. Then you come back and say "NO" again to him... why? The only thing he remembers from the last minute of his life is that he's sitting in a playpen alone, and then his mom comes and says NO to him. That just seems a little cruel!
    ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2010