Selfish parents....

I understand people have the right to do pretty much what ever they want to in their personal life but I personally think smoking in the same enclosed space as your child should be able to be penalized in some way or another. It's one thing if someone smokes themselves because it's their body and they can decide to slowly kill themselves if they want to but to slowly kill your children for your own gratification is completely unimaginable to me. Smoking in the company of your child should be considered child abuse. They have no choice especially if they are brought up thinking they can't disobey their parents. In my opinion it would be like justifying giving your child a punch in the face every once in awhile when they act up. Can anyone please explain what goes through someone's head when they commit a crime like this?

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• can of wormsCrime?

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I am a smoker and I completely agree with you. I don't smoke in the home or in our car... It just doesn't sit well with me.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I agree. It's funny they pass a law that people can not smoke in bars, malls etc. because it is harmful to the workers and other patrons. Yet, they will allow children to sit in a car with the windows rolled up and the parents smoking. SAD
    Anonymous

• i was under the impression that in some states a law was passed in which it's illegal to smoke in the car with children inside of it. but i'm probably wrong as usual.

anyway i do agree that it's wrong to smoke in your car or INSIDE your home with kids around. i smoke but i do it outside and i don't smoke in the car even if they aren't in it. my parents however smoked in the car when i was little and im well and fine.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• no i cannot explain, my mom smoked inside my entire childhood & she is an awesome mom.

I think a punch in the face is definitely more harsh than second hand smoke. I agree though, that it is very selfish. At least my mom had the excuse of "she didn't know"....

But, i don't think it should be considered abuse considering the all the REAL abuse that is out there. Some of these children would happily be raised in a house full on second hand smoke rather then get sexually molested or badly beaten.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:20 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Wrong ya, its wrong. I smoke but don't smoke around my kids. However, until smoking is made illegal there's not much that can be done. I mean people can smoke in their house with their kids and you can't do anything about that. I wish smoking was made illegal even though I'm a smoker. To me it would be easier because then I wouldn't have any choice but to quit. Now when I try to quit I always know someone who smokes or theres a store right around the corner if I get stressed, I wish it wasn't easy access.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• "I agree. It's funny they pass a law that people can not smoke in bars, malls etc. because it is harmful to the workers and other patrons. Yet, they will allow children to sit in a car with the windows rolled up and the parents smoking. SAD "

Are *you* going to stop every car to make sure no one is smoking? It's a good idea in theory, but it's not very practical.

I would like to see a law banning people from smoking within so many feet of a public playground. That'll probably never happen, though.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 3:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• "There's nothing forcing you to stay there in that room with them"

A four month old can't exactly walk away from Mommy.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 3:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I do not agree it should be considered a crime. Is it right no but what about the children who are being abused sexually and physically. That to me is a crime and those children should be protected. To me that is what you should be getting more worked up about.
    seashore29

Answer by seashore29 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2010