Really is it that bad out there?

About the jobs??? I know there is a shortage but (I'm in Detroit,MI) it is really bad. I had a friend in Cali tell me it is not that bad out there. I know the media can make a small situation big so in your area is it really that tough?

Cause I am starting to think Detroit/MI is just not it anymore.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 12:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• i heard detroit has it worse than anywhere else in states
    i am in milwaukee, not alot better here
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I live right on the border of Chicago and it is really that bad!!!! my husband is an accountant and he has been out of work for 9 months.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yeah I mean there are really no jobs here. I mean even getting a job at mcDonalds is hard to get out here. I had a friend move to Milwakee and she has has success....found a job at Subway and getting more help (public assistence) for her daughter and the housing seemed to better for her. I am really trying to find something good so I can plant roots, you know?

I'm still in school...medical assisting graduate next year!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Well I have heard that detroit is pretty bad I know out here in Oklahoma the job prospects are not very wide in selection but I do live in a small town the only thing for anyone to do here is go to college and get a degree to get a better paying job, work in a call center, or work in a factory but as far as job availability that has not been a very big problem here it is pretty easy to find a job, it just may not be the dream job you want but hey at least it pays the bills. Good luck to you. Oh also on another note the cost of living in states like Oklahoma is a lot cheaper than states on the coast so that may be something to factor in if you are looking at maybe relocating.
    Brycensmommy512

Answer by Brycensmommy512 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I live in Alabama and have been trying for about 6 months. I just want part time. I have tried grocery stores, dept. stores, fast food. Nowhere is hiring. It is like this everywhere I think
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• In detroit (which is suppose to be cheap) a studio or small one bedroom can run you 450-525 a month and may only include one water & trash removal.

I wish we had availability. Any job is better than no job (in my opinion).
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Not here! St. Louis actually named in the top for cities that have jobs available. The Pepsi plant in Marion, IL, is actually offering free CDL training for all new drivers. That's awesome. I think it's sporadic. I also think that people are going to have to wind up relocating soon.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• WOW free CDL training. Man i would be so loyal lol I would work for big tobacco if they called and i do not like smoking. Yeah unless you are a top professional here in MI it is hard.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We reached 15% unemployment here in Las Vegas last month. Last I heard, it's at 14.1%, which I think is the highest in the country. My husband is a house repo man, so we see first hand just how bad it is.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I really don't think people understand how bad it is until they start putting in job applications. I had an interview for a minimum wage job this summer and they told me they had over 60 people that they were interviewing for that one job. I remember when I was growing up- any application I put in I'd get the job. it's not like that anymore, though I don't think it's impossible to get a job, it's just really really hard.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2010