Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I am a stay at home mom who watches a friends child for her while she is working, she is considered to be low income and receives state assitance like food stamps and etc. I was told that if I become certified or registered I could get paid through the state to watch her child I was wondering if this is true and if it is how would I go about doing it? I currently watch him for free and things are tight right now so I would like to bring in a little extra money.

I live in Oklahoma, I have heard that it varies by state, so if anyone could give me any helpful information on this subject it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Answer Question

Asked by Brycensmommy512 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 5 (90 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • i am not in OK
    but i think yes, but lots of hoops to jump through to get certified for the state
    call local socail services, or human resources for your area find out how
    good luck

    Answer by fiatpax at 12:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • My knowledge is limited on that but the only way I've heard of getting money through the state for caring for a child is if you had custody of that child. Then the state pays you for expenses of caring for that chid. But there could be something like that for day care as well.

    Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • Yes you can do that. I do not think its that difficult. My friend's mom did it so she could get the state to pay her for watching her grand daughter while her daughter worked. Contact the local family services office & ask. Good luck to you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • Look at this list of questions/answers and also look at the different webiste areas that talk about being licensed.  Hope it is helpful


    Answer by elizabr at 1:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • you have to get cpr certified, have a home study and not sure what else. in my state you can also get help feeding children you babysit. Good Luck!

    Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 3:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.