my two year old just learnt to say ( i dont want too) from caillou (cartoon) how do i get her to stop! ofcourse she is not watching it anymore!!

i didnt notice that it was like that!! i thought it was a good one for her until now!!lol.. i really want her to stop and shes not watching it anymore.. but what else can i do

Layan82

Asked by Layan82 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OMG!!! That Caillou is such a brat! I don't let my kids watch it either!
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Why stop it? She may only be two but she needs to know that she can have an opinion about something. If you tell her it's not ok for her to not want to do something than she may grow up thinking that she will constantly have to do things she doesn't want to. You have to allow her to make her own decisions about certain things.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I dont think it has to be a bad phrase if you just teach her how to use it correctly

Raindew

Answer by Raindew at 12:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• If she's telling you that she doesn't want to do something that you asked her to do I wouldn't let her watch it either. A two year old is not old enough to make informed decisions. I used to tell my step son that it didn't matter if he wanted to or not he was doing it. He would listen after that. GL
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have no problem with Caillou. What the show patterns is appropriate parental response, consistency, and consequence. Caillou says no, he is mean to his sister, breaks things, and has tantrums... his parents work as a team, they are consistent, and he is disciplined. Children take away a lesson in consequence, respect, and appropriate behavior. I would much rather they watch THAT, than some asinine babbling BS like yo gabba gabba.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yea some of the shows that come on TV irritate the crud out of me. Calliou personally isn't THAT bad but like spongebob for example is constantly saying things like "I hate you!" or "Thats stupid"... The channel always gets turned when that comes on now!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• She'd have come out with that on her own shortly anyway,. you know. And she'll come up with a lot of other things... just wait till she tells you you're mean! That's OK... it means you're doing your job.

Don't let anything get a rise out of you. When she says, "I don't want to," you tell her she still HAS to. Or....insert consequence here. And follow through with the consequences.

When she eventually tells you that you're mean... agree with her. "Yep. I'm the Meanest Mommy In The World, and don't you forget it!" That response always derails my son's Temper Train.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Why would you stop letting her watch a cartoon for normally toddler behavior? She is learning to give her opinion and seeing what her boundaries are. Wait until she tells you that you are mean, a bad mommy, not her mommy anymore, not her friend. Just IGNORE it. Don't make a big deal out of it because the more you point it out, the more she will say it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2010