I feel like a horrible mom

Bought the baby a crib instead of her bassinet and the pediatrician told me she'll have to cry until she gets used to it. She never cries, but when I put her in her crib she screams bloody murder :( Is there another way I can get her used to it??

bseastrand

Asked by bseastrand at 12:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• DS was 11 months when we started the transition. We had the crib next to my side of the bed. I had to put him in asleep. It takes some maneuvering, but it can be done. He would cry when he woke up, and we'd start the process over again.
    We tried warming the crib, putting in our shirts, all kinds of things, and nothing really worked. He just HATED it. But starting with it next to the bed, then moving it to the foot of the bed, and finally to his room, we got him in it. As he got used to it, he started crying less. He's 2 now, and the crib has been turned into a toddler bed (convertible). He still cries when he wakes up, but now it's his "big boy bed". I go in and comfort him for a minute, then he gets back into bed.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You don't have to take parenting advice from your pediatician, do what works for you and your baby.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 1:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• How old is your baby? She could be crying because the bed feels cold, or because it feels 'too big" or maybe it smells funny. You could try warming the bed before putting her on it, if she is a newborn try swaddling her. If she is wrapped up she may feel more seucre. As for smell you could try sleeping with her crib sheet and then put it on her bed, that way her bed will smell like you and smell 'familiar' and not 'strange'.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• She's ten months old.
    bseastrand

Comment by bseastrand (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Does she HAVE to sleep in the crib? We coslept, and it worked fine for us. DS wouldn't have any of it in the crib. Even when he was born, he screamed being the bassinet. Some babies love being in the crib, some hate it. Unfortunately, there isn't really much you can do if you want her in there other than let her cry.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I thought about co sleeping but a friends baby died over the summer b/c the uncle was sleeping on the couch with the baby and he didnt realize he rolled on top of her. So I'm afraid to.
    bseastrand

Comment by bseastrand (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• She is going to have to go through a transition period but you can make it be less stressful. You must have a sleep time routine by now, I assume.  Keep it the same every time she is tired.  Whether it is a bath at night, diaper change, swaddling, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying.  When she's drowsy lay her down.   If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping.   It might be rough for the first few times but she will adjust.

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Where has your baby slept until now?  There are safe ways to co sleep.  I'm sorry your friend lost her baby.  The uncle was probably not used to sleeping with a baby. 

Here are some links on safe cosleeping:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t102200.asp

http://babyparenting.about.com/od/sleeping/a/cosleep.htm

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/t070600.asp

I hope this helps!

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• She slept in a bassinet until now. She's small for her size so she was able to stay in it a little longer.
    bseastrand

Comment by bseastrand (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2010