SAHM That needs to keep kids busy in winter!!! PLEASE HELP I feel like Im losing my mind!

I am fortunate enough to be the SAHM of 2 beautiful children, 1 1/2 and almost 5...... We unfortunately live somewhere where its HOTT HOTT hot in the summer and FREEZING cold in the winter. I am running out of things to keep the kids occupied and busy. When its warm out, we are ALWAYS outside, but every year we go through this and we all get a lil stir crazy. My oldest gets emotional, has trouble sleeping at night, and even some behavior probs... But when its warm it all goes away!
So I'm looking for some ideas on what you do to keep your kids outta trouble and HAPPY in the winter months...preferably free! lol
Thank you, these beautiful babies are driving me crazy!

madsmom314

Asked by madsmom314 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• have dad lend a hand, too
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 1:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• He does! He is an awesome dad! But He's at work all day!
    madsmom314

Comment by madsmom314 (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Do you have any indoor play areas where you are? Like Gymboree or Pump It Up? Google it, and see what comes up. Balloons can be great fun when the kids are stuck inside, and they generally won't let anyone or anything get hurt.
    We have a mall locally that's really slow, and we take DS there to run free sometimes.
    There's a restaurant here that's similar to Chuck E Cheese's, but it's cleaner and the food's better. See if there's something like that where you are.
    Do you have any friends with kids? You can trade off play dates. I'm part of a moms group, so we do a lot of play dates over the winter.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Mine go nuts with home made play dough. It doesn't get stuck to things like the regular stuff does, and you can scent it with whatever you like! (our red is cinnamon, yellow is lemon, orange is orange, brown is cocoa, green is mint, blue is licorice)
    Google recipes. I get out the cookie cutters, plastic knives, forks, spoons rolling pins, straws, etc. It keeps them bust for HOURS, and only costs pennies to make.

You could also make a terrarium with your older child, so that they can have some green to take care of.

Get a sun lamp, it makes a huge difference!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• We had a tent type toy that our kids loved. Can you drape a blanket over a table and let them have fun under it? Mine also loved playing in the sink. I put a waterproof smock on them and stayed close by so things stayed under control. They used containers, funnels, etc. Mine would play there forever if I had let them.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Crafts, playdough..you can make it yourself, but it is really cheap. Have them wash your plastic ware in the sink with bubbles. Play in the tub, do exercises on the floor with them. Your older one may suffer from SAD..I do. Season affect disorder. Not enough vitamin D from sunlight. Try a sun lamp for 15 mins a day..it really helps the winter blues. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I feel you, I have a 2 and 5 y/o myself! Let them help you make hot chocolate and have your 5y/o count the marshmellows s/he puts in the cup. This may sound a little silly, but play some games with them - childhood games like; hide and seek, building a tent, duck-duck-goose, and etc. Arts and crafts are amazing for the winter months. You can even log on to PBSKIDS.ORG for computer games or nickjrboost.com. Check your state for your local Children Museum b/c they always have free entry every 2nd tuesday of the month! Maye even a trip to the library for a short while may make the day better.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 2:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010