Solstice, Rebirth of the Sun God... Yule.... Xmas...

Point me in the direction of some good materials for young children?

We have some interesting traditions of our own, but I would like to incorporate the significance of the winter solstice, and the rebirth of the sun god in a new tradition... Have you any suggestions for "story books"?
We tell the story of St. Nick on xmas eve, but I would like to do a sunrise story with breakfast on the 25th as well.

(our family is of very diverse religious background, and I would like the kids comfortable with some of these different ideals, KWIM?)

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 1:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• thanks you :)

I have looked at a lot of materials, and found some interesting stories already. I just don't want to bore them with "information"- I want them to understand the actual significance of why the 25th was chosen for xmas, and have a better understanding of the historical value.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• The traditional Yule(condensed to fit here):
    Odin rides his 8 legged horse, Sleipnir on the great hunt every year. He sees who is good and who is bad (those who are bad won't wake up). Kids leave grass for Sleipnir to eat, and for their kindness, Odin leaves them gifts. Yule begins at the crescent moon. Outside, families decorate the evergreens in the yard with gifts for the wights (house spirits), and on Mother's Night, light candles to guide the way to their home where all their friends and family gather for a giant all-night feast, trade gifts with each other, and just generally celebrate family and home. The feast can last for days, as long as the Yule log keeps burning. The house is decorated with holly, ivy, garlands and wreaths to honor Yggdrasil (as does the decorated tree). Over time, other people invade, trees are hidden inside, Slepnir becomes reindeer, Odin becomes Santa. Others move it to the solstice.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I really enjoyed doing some of these things last year. Link 

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 2:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Appreciate it... @ NP- I've had a hard time finding literature for the children that explains how christmas came to be (how the catholic church chose the 25th). I have plenty of resources and lit for adult readers, and my daughter has read a good bit of it, and has begun to take on more pagan beliefs (she says it makes more sense than christianity- I have my parents to thank for taking the opportunity to indoctrinate her, now I refuse to leave the kids alone with them. ugh). Just can't seem to find things which will catch the mind of a 3 & 5 year old.
    We don't celebrate xmas like most, no santa, do not decorate, its more of a family gathering than anything... where would you go about looking for more lit? I've googled my ass off.

@ ryan- thanks, but I would like my kids to understand how xmas really came to be :)
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Just can't seem to find things which will catch the mind of a 3 & 5 year old.

There's not a lot out there. Sabrina can probably give you some ideas, because she collects it. I can give you a site that covers the basics of Heathenry for little kids, but it doesn't specifically go into Yule all that much:

http://www.friggasweb.org/nvirtues.html

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Awesome! thanks :)
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• How about a song... "here comes the sun" by the beatles! give it a listen.. it is almost perfect for Yule.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 5:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2010