Medicaid as secondary insurance?

I recently took my son to the eye doctor and he has Medicaid as a secondary insurance. I later received a bill for the co-pay on the primary insurance and it doesn't look like Medicaid was billed at all. Does Medicaid pay the co-pay for the primary insurance or am I responsible for that? I work in a hospital ER, and when Medicaid is the secondary insurance, we never collect the co-pay for the primary.

MomMom23

Asked by MomMom23 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think it will depend on which type of medicaid you have... I'm sure it varies from state to state, but here you have no co-pays if you are pregnant or under the age of 5. After that co-pays depend on income. you'll have to check out your medicaid card to see if you'll have co-pays.

Hopefully they don't have to reimburse you. I imagine that is a pain.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I work in the medical field and Medicaid is terrible at reimbursement, especially to cover a co-pay that your primary won't pay. arenad is in a totally different boat being disabled, Medicare will cover her. Insurances are so frustrating!!
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 1:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I would call them. I am on disability and on mecicare, I never pay a co-pay. I assume they are pretty much the same.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Wow I figured if u had private insurance you could not qualofy for medicaid as a secondary.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• they usually dont cover co pays i have medicare and madicade and i still pay co pays..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 1:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I realize the ER and an eye doctor are different, but that wasn't my question, I don't think the type of medical attention matters. And I do pay something, I pay a hefty premium every month so my son has health insurance. Anyway, I did call the doctor's office, the Medicaid had not been entered and now that it has, the co-pay has been waved. Thank you everyone!
    MomMom23

Comment by MomMom23 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Thank you Erica. My son doesn't have co-pays for Medicaid, it was the co-pay for the primary insurance I received a bill for. I wasn't sure if I was responsible for it or not. Thanks again.
    MomMom23

Comment by MomMom23 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• they are supposed to cover copays. the doctors office needs to be submitting anything the primary insurance does not cover, to the secondary insurance. contact the doctors office and remind them of this.
    cinnabunch

Answer by cinnabunch at 6:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You would have to check with your insurance booklet. Usually, the secondary will cover what the primary doesn't, but they don't always cover it 100%.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• ER and going to the eye doctor are very different. You're going to have to pay something!!
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 1:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010