Should Medicaid be making life or death decisions based on finances?

What distinguishes the reductions recently imposed in Arizona, where coverage was eliminated on Oct. 1 for certain transplants of the heart, liver, lung, pancreas and bone marrow, is the decision to stop paying for treatments urgently needed to ward off death.

The cuts in transplant coverage, which could deny organs to 100 adults currently on the transplant list, are testament to both the severity of fiscal pressures on the states and the particular bloodlessness of budget-cutting in Arizona.

“It’s a real sign of the times,” said Alan Weil, executive director of the National Academy for State Health Policy. “And I think this is a precursor to a much larger number of states having this discussion.”

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Does this constitute a DEATH PANEL?

Republicans have argued that the new health law will lead to rationing, warning even of “death panels.” Democrats have responded that care is already rationed, with 50 million people going largely without insurance, and that the law will bring greater equity.

The Arizona case, said Diane Rowland, director of the  “is a classic example of making decisions based not on medical need but based on a budget.” And, she added, “it results, potentially, in denial of care to individuals in a life-or-death situation.”

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Doesn't everyone do that?

If you knew you'd lose your house, go bankrupt and end up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt by 'electing' to treat a terminal illness, would you pick it?

People here on CafeMom are forever noting that they can't go to a doctor or ER because they have no coverage... what's the difference?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Big insurance has been doing it for years. Fortunately my family has never been in a "life or death" insurance delima, but have been denied payment and approval for medical care. They even refused to pay my sons hospital bill once cause we didn't use a local Dr. We were out of state on vaction and he was admitted through the ER.

You can't have "cut the budget" and "give me everything I want". There will always be someone who suffers when decisions are made based on $$ not emotion.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 1:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Where are all the tea partiers protesting the DEATH PANELS??

now its fiscally responsible to let old and or sick people DIE in the name of saving some $$$$?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• well i see it this way what happened b 4 the technology? the ppl died everyone dies i may sound cold but thats just how it is ..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 1:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• now its fiscally responsible to let old and or sick people DIE in the name of saving some $$$$?

I gave up Dems seem to want the Gov to decide who lives and died and Repubs are just as stupid. I have no control over the Government and am just thankful I can afford my medical expenses.
    Anonymous

• Seems its the repubs that want to decide anon

Where is fox news on jan brewers death panels???
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Pretty much the entire health care discussion~Eventually there are NOT enough wage earners to fund the ever expanding entitlement programs... And to think politicians want to add MORE programs and more BURDEN to states/government... I don't care WHO condones this... There are not enough wage earners in this nation to fund existing entitlements.... But, wait till ObamaCare adds MORE of a burden on states...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• well,Human Life is worth more that $$$$$$$
    That is disgusting.
    Jan Brewer is nuts.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010