What are they signs of split personality disorder?

And can a 10 year old child have it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you are asking that question of your 10 year old, then you need to take him to your pediatrician and then get your pediatrician to recommend a pediatric psychiatrist for true diagnosis.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• A ten year old can have it, and you should google it. There are alot of signs for every type of disorder and usually a checklist home test that you can bring to the dr. Have you talked to the dr?
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 1:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Any traumatized person can develop any of a whole range of coping skills, generally considered 'mental illness' of one label or another.

There is nothing magical about being 10 that stops that from being true.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Sometimes they have black outs and do not remember doing something or other, but yes, no age is immune to this, check with your kids doctor for accurate diagnose.

Answer by older at 1:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• well with that disorder... it mainly develops during childhood trama that is too much for the child to cope with - hense they regress and allow some part of their personality to take over - to the child can shelter themselves from it. the different personalities cannot interact with each other. if the person with the disorder is "joe" when they watch a tv show - and tonight they switch into "henry" they wont remember the show. it isnt a case of exteme personality changes, it is a person that has broken themselves into multiple seperate people who can all deal with different things. the person does not control the switching of personilities ... it is mainly from severe trama ... most common is sexual. honestly if you think your son has this - he needs professional help asap.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It's my nephew not my son. My sister is asking me for advise which is why I am asking this question. About 3 years ago she divorced his father and he seems to cope differently since then. She tells me he will forget what he did with her a month earlier when he is at his fathers house. She said one time he completely couldn't recall going to Disneyland with her when asked by his father how the trip went. I guess there are so many instances like this one. When my sister sits down to help him with his homework, he insists the teacher didn't explain to the class how to do it. She is just concerned about his memory and originally passed it off as forgetfullness and intentionaly sarcasm, but she says it's gone on too long and so is looking at other possibilities.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010