How many people think Fruit Flies really are the 'other white meat?"

In Palin's infamous recent speech on special needs, she stood there and said two completely contradictory things -- first she'd cut wasteful spending to find a cure for Autism and second she mocked the Fruit Fly Genome projects and basically implied she would cut that as wasteful spending. Say it with me now -- research and understand BEFORE you speak. HOWEVER, a recent study of Drosophila fruit flies showed that a protein called neurexin is essential for proper neurological function -- a discovery with clear implications for autism research.

roachiesmom

Asked by roachiesmom at 3:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Perhaps this should be a journal post, because I don't see a real question here. For the record, I agree with what you're saying, though.
    Anonymous

• From Palin's speech -- This is a matter of how we prioritize the money that we spend. We've got a three trillion dollar budget, and Congress spends some 18 billion dollars a year on earmarks for political pet projects. That's more than the shortfall to fully fund the IDEA. And where does a lot of that earmark money end up? It goes to projects having little or nothing to do with the public good -- things like fruit fly research in Paris, France, or a public policy center named for the guy who got the earmark. In our administration, we're going to reform and refocus. We're going to get our federal priorities straight, and fulfill our country's commitment to give every child opportunity and hope in life.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Link to more information about why fruit fliy Research is vital to EVERYONE who breathes -- http://www.stthom.edu/Public/index.asp?page_ID=4656

roachiesmom

• I agree with what you are saying
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Umm the question is who understands this is important research and who thinks it is just pork spending.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I understand the research and support it. :) Does anyone know why we research on fruit flies??? HMMMM
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I was totally being bitchy, sorry. :(
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Yup, yup! This was part of the reason I could not vote for McCain. In the even that he did give away to old age, there was NO WAY I was going to be hunky-dorey with having her as a President.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Palin didn't win so why are you still knocking her. Go bow down to Obama he'll get you all of your programs, RIGHT?
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 3:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• SheriSanchez, a scary amount of people are talking about making Palin the nominee in 2012 (yeah, now I understand why that's supposed to be the end of the world). You can call it knocking if you want, but I am trying to understand, and to make people aware. I have Autism. I didn't know it was that until this year, but I can tell you volumes about the hell of living it for over 40 years. That image - people, PARENTS, with special needs kids cheering Palin as she tells them she wants to CUT the very program making strides toward understanding and STOPPING not just Autism, but other many, many other conditions and diseases...that is horrifying to me.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2008