Can my cereal be a subsitute for my prenatal vitamins for 2 or 3 days?

I know this questions sounds extremely strange but here is the situation.... Normally money isn't an issue for us BUT this week our car broke down and we've spent over 500 dollars fixing it so money is VERY tight.

I don't have 5 dollars to spend on prenatal vitamins but my breakfast cereal has 100% of the recommended daily value of Folic Acid which I know is the most important vitamin at this stage in pregnancy (less than 4 weeks). It has some other vitamins too but the Folic Acid is my concern because of neural tube defects.

So if it has "100% of the RDV of Folic Acid" can I substitute it (by eating 1-2 servings a day) for my prenatal vitamins until my DH gets his check?

Also what other foods have lots of vitamins in them that would be good for the baby? I might have some of them around the house!

***PLEASE, PLEASE do not bash me. I'm feeling bad enough that I basically don't have money to provide for my baby today. Like I said this is NORMALLY NOT an issue. We will have no problem providing for our baby. It's just that our savings have been depleted because of surgies and a move this year so when the car breaks down it's got to come out of the weekly paycheck.

Thanks for any kind answers in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You should be fine for two or three days. It'd be the equivalent of not knowing you were pregnant for two or three days later than you did. (Assuming that's when you starting taking them). If you're taking prescription ones then you can go to the pharmacy and tell them that you need an advance until Friday. If it's otc I wouldn't stress about it.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 1:20 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It's OK if you skip your prenatals for a few days. Do you have a regular multi vitamin you can take? The baby is going to take what it needs from your body. You may suffer if you don't take vitamins at all. A few days will be fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:20 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Nothing bad is going to happen if you miss a couple of days of Prenatals. The Prenatals are more for mommy than baby. An unborn baby usually gets everything he/she needs. Just eat balanced meals and you will be fine
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I really would not stress about it. Just eat healthy and you will be fine.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You need to eat at least 2 servings or 8-12 mg of folic acid per day. http://www.kznhealth.gov.za/nutrition/food6.htm This website gives you a list of foods that are rich in folic acid, separated by categories. Don't worry about it. A few days without your pre-natals isn't going to hurt the baby unless you have a vitamin deficiency.

BTW, how are you less than 4 weeks pregnant?  You are 4 weeks pregnant by the time you are supposed to get your period.

twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I took an early pregnancy test and I know when I ovulate. I will be 4 weeks pregnant in 2 days. I'm 3 weeks 5 days.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Should be fine but not for an extended period of time
    MaybeMommy1994

Answer by MaybeMommy1994 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I actually stopped taking mine because they were making me super sick. and since i stopped taking them ive felt so much better, im currently looking into new ones but gunna wait to see my doctor to make a choice. i dont plan on not taking anything the whole time.
    but my mother couldnt take them either. they also made her sick.
    milkieshakes

Answer by milkieshakes at 1:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2010