I am strictly breastfeeding......

I am breastfeeding my daughter and me and my husband are trying have another baby. Do anyone have any idea what we can do to make my body more fertile? When concieving normally is there a certain time of the day when I may be more likely to concieve? I am starting my baby on baby food so she will be breastfed less. Would my period more than likely come back. I did not get pregnant this time until 3 months after I stopped breastfeeding completely and had one period.

ILYNAA

Asked by ILYNAA at 1:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Bumped because I have no idea. I had my period the whole time I was breastfeeding. Hopefully another Mommy has better insight.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I believe you aren't suppose to TTC while breastfeeding. You should see a doctor about this.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 1:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Everybody is different. This is just one of those things that you will have to wait out until you get your period. I had my period when I was strictly BF. I am crazy fertile! But good luck mama and congrats on your next little one. :)
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• The only time one can concieve is to have sex at time of ovulation and even then, an ovum isn't always fertilized and then it doesn't always take. Everything else is just old wives tales. I'm a firm believer in the fact that you will get pregnant when it's time, not a moment sooner or later. Enjoy your babies, enjoy your hubby, enjoy intamacy and pregnancy will happen when it's meant to. Best of Luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Of course you can try to have another baby while breastfeeding!! When I went back to work and wasn't breastfeeding as much my period returned. If your period hasn't come back yet, that might be your body's way of telling you it's not ready to support a new life quite yet. You can always be trying though :)
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 1:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Absoluteself...that is INCORRECT!!!! It's perfectly safe to TTC while breastfeeding.

I will tell you that getting your cycle back can be hard. I exclusively breastfed for 6 months, then introduced solids and I'm still breastfeeding. I didn't have my first post partum period until my son was 16 months old.

I just ovulated for the 2nd time yesterday since having my son 17 months ago.

You can try taking Vitex to encourage it back and night wean if you haven't already. Just BE CAREFUL about weaning to much. I wasn't willing to wean so that contributed to how long it took to get my cycle back.

Anonymous

• Personally I would wait until your LO is old enough to wean before TTC, just so the strain on your body won't be as bad. You will be fertile before you have your first cycle (because you ovulate before you menstruate), but there is no way to know when that will be until you start having cycles. I know with many women once solids are introduced their cycles return if they haven't already. I don't know of many that have to fully wean to get their cycle back, but it happens so be prepared for that. GL!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You CAN know when you ovulate even if you haven't had mentration return yet!

Get the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility and learn to chart cervical mucus and BBT.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2010