is an autisic child able to tell a lie

Sugar708

Asked by Sugar708 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't know about other autistic kids,but my son doesn't. He's 9 by the way.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• certainly!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I really dont think so. My daughter is an aspie....and while when they get older they can....i dont think below the age of 12 they do.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Depends on their level of functioning. My oldest, 13, has autism and can't lie - but he's in the moderate range. My 10 year old aspie son can definitely tell a lie - most of the time he just doesn't see a point to it so he generally tells the truth.

Answer by missanc at 1:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• to them theyre not lies.. i categorize my lies any way they're flat out lies , lies of omission and white lies .. usually u can pick them out easily tho
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 1:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My oldest (14) is an aspie, and he does not lie. For him it is a waste of time and he does not see the point of lying (it is not 'logical). He did try a few times when he was younger but I could always tell he was trying to lie. Besides he is at the "I'm too lazy" stage-- ask him to do anything and I get "I'm too lazy" so having to think up a lie, and possibly remember it might be too much 'work' for him.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• autistic generally see things as black and white...no gray area, very hard for them to lie...not impossible.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Oh you bet they can! My son has lied about his sneaking/stealing since he was 4 if not sooner! He's borderline Asp/PDD-NOS and you bet he lies to cover his impulse control issues!
    daydreaminmom

Answer by daydreaminmom at 2:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My autistic daughter lies all the time.
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• They can. Mine don't.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2010