I feel bad

My son is having a birthday party and having some of the boys (4) sleep over. I told him 4 cause I have never done more than one at a time and have no idea what I am in for. the boys are all 7-8 yrs old. we are inviting some others that are 2 yrs younger and live about 1/2 hour away but i did not invite him to spend the night since he has never before (the others all have ) and I worry about how it will go easpecially with the age difference and me never having this many boys before...

mom, a friend of mine asked if he was the only one not spending the night so that she could prepare him and no he is not the only one ...but I feel bad! I called and ttold her that we could try an overnight over the break just him and my son and see how that goes...had to leave it on voicemail....do you think I handled this right?

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 1:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I on the other hand feel that you handled it perfectly. You were direct and honest and let the parents handle it. If it is going to be too disappointing he doesn't have to come. But most likely he will have a great time, and there will be plenty of time for sleepovers with those younger children down the road. It is an age appropriate activity, and you kept it to the ages plain and simple. My 5 year old wants sleepovers because her 9 yr. old brother has them and we say no. The younger children should be happy to come to the party and their parents should just explain to them they aren't old enough yet. Parents today don't like to tell their children no, or to wait on things, or to have inequalities. But honestly, you were kind in inviting them to the party and children need to know sometime that life is not always fair, things can not always be made equal.

I think you did just fine.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:58 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Either have a sleepover for all or a sleepover for none.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'm with CraftingMama on this one..
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I agree with CraftingMama. I understand your apprehension in having that many kids sleep over, but they just dont understand at that age whey THEY were the one that had to go home, ya know?
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I would let each child decide if they are ready for all nighter.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 1:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i believe you hndled it well. i have three kids of my own and one night did a sleepover with my 5 nieces nd nephews. it was hard!!!!!
    tld1221

Answer by tld1221 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• thanks for your opinions heres an update! I talked to the mom of the boy ( they are all comming to the party) she just wanted to know so that she could tell him in the right way sigh....she said that she and her DH dont really think he is ready for a first sleep over to be with a lot of other boys either! We are planning to have a play date for the break and maybe try a sleep over then she is not sure she is ready for that as he has not ever had one...so it works out for the best I guess! thanks for all the imput! Will be using it in the future for sure!
    rebeccadac

Comment by rebeccadac (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yeah I understand where you are coming from really I do. But the child won't understand that. He will just assume he's done something wrong. What I would have done is not tell anyone he was having a slumber party and just invite the ones you know personally to stay all night. That way what they won't know won't hurt.
    future_mommy01

Answer by future_mommy01 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• LOL I did do this but 2 of my friends live across the street and i am pretty sure the one who is spending the night told the one who is not
    rebeccadac

Comment by rebeccadac (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I think it is up to you to decide what you are comfortable with.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2010