How do you deal with grief?

I have yet to deal with my father's death. I don't know if I can approach it even. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Health

• Go ahead and give yourself time to grieve, hon. Cry, get depressed, get angry, just let it out. If you don't, it will manifest itself later when you are least expecting it. There's nothing wrong with letting yourself go through the grieving process. Take as much time as you need.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It takes time. I am a Christian sooo I believe that my loved ones are in heaven. That helps me tremendously. I picture my brother camping and fishing in his heavenly home...and I picture my babies swinging on clouds with God. I know it may seem silly to some people, but it brings me comfort. Grief is a process....it takes time. Take care!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Don't let anyone tell you that there's a certain time frame that you should stop grieving in. I still hate it when I mention missing my mom and people actually say "you're STILL not over that?" Grieving is a very personal thing and everybody experiences it differently. Just allow yourself to feel the sadness or whatever it is you're feeling. If you try to block it out or ignore it it can really back up on you.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My father died a year ago and I haven't successfully dealt with it yet. I live far away from my family so at times it just doesn't seem real but then all of a sudden I am hit with the realization he is gone and I am destroyed all over again. It seems like a never ending cycle of grief. Slowly though I am finding my way back to God (after seriously hating him for taking my dad). I think that is helping me cope with some of the pain. I had pretty much lost faith in everything which is something that I know my dad would not have wanted. Also, talking about the grief, anger, whatever to someone will help. Good Luck to you...I know exactly how you feel. If you need to vent to someone who knows what you are going through feel free. Good Luck!
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 7:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2008