How do you teach a 2 1/2 year old boy to tell you when he has to go potty?

If we take him he will go, but he does not tell us when he needs to go. This morning I put underwear on him to try that method, at first he did well then 3 accidents within 20 mins. He is such a bright child, I just can't figure out how to teach him to tell me when he feels the urge to go potty. HELP!

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 2:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wish I knew! My son walks around going "Mommy, I pooped! I pooped!" but when I go to change him I find out he didn't. Then when he actually does, he doesn't tell me. I don't know why he's doing that. He does take his diaper off when he's wet though, so I guess that's a start.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• That's NORMAL!! It takes more than 20 minutes for them to get it! Be patient!!
    Have you tried the 3 day method? I have it if you're interested. It worked really well for us.
    You have to be PATIENT. DS had 30+ accidents on the first day, 6-7 the next day, and none the 3rd. It takes A LOT of work, and it's EXHAUSTING, but it's totally worth it. I SO don't miss diapers!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• One if he wet himself 3 times in 20 min then he was not done in the first place. Try putting him on the potty. Two if they are playing they will not think about it. Try to set a timer and take him every 20 min then when that is good every 30 min then when that is good every 40 min. Get the idea? A new habit is not going to be done in a day so keep up with taking them and reminding them. I have a 5 year old that untill recently I would say go potty before we leave and she would say I don't need to and I would say go anyway. Then she would and would need to go. If I forgot then I would hear a little ways down the road mom I need to pee. They think they don't have to but you know best!! As for the one that thinks he pooped and he did not. He may be farting. My 5 year old on this one two she would run to the pit a lot and finnally I realized that she thought everytime she had to fart she had to poop!!
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 4:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2010