What do you think about this situation?

My friend and I went to eat with our two kids today at a local Mexican restaurant.

Both of our kids are 5 and attend a special education preschool together. Her son has a severe language and speech delay....impediment....
And my dd has aspergers.

We ate...the kids were excited b/c of a class party...but were fairly good mannered....both of us mothers reprimanded our kids once or twice for talking too loud...

When we were about done a random lady came up to our table....and said "this is a restaurant and not a playground, if the kids need to play you need to take them to a park"

My friend and I were SHOCKED to say the least...as she walked away I said "well they are kids, and you are an adult acting rude, whats the difference"

My friend and I sat their shocked still and my friend said "I am not done with her" so she got up went up to the register where she was checking out and my friend told her how our kids were both special ed and were not being badly behaved. And that if she walked a day in our shoes she might understand.

What do you think? Did we do the right thing? Was lady rude or right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, she was rude. Some people expect us to turn kids off like a switch in places like that. Not so easy though. There are some restaurants now that make you take your kids outside if they get too loud.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• the lady was definately rude. if she doesnt want to have to encounter how children behave then she should stay home and eat!!!!
    tld1221

Answer by tld1221 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• The lady was rude. Interrupting other people dining is rude, period. If she has a problem with the clientel, she needs to speak to the management, not the other customers. Since she doesn't know this, she's a busybody.

Be happy she's not your mil. She's probably someone's.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I give you credit!!! you were right. Some people are to ya know "got a pole stuck way up their........"
    meleia396

Answer by meleia396 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Well the lady was rude in the first place, but I also think your friend was rude for walking up to her and continuing the conversation. Her answer was fine, but should have been said immediately while the woman was still at your table not by going up to her. We have a few special needs children in our extended family and always get looks and people talking loudly at nearby tables for us to hear, but we have never had someone say anything to our faces. I think they are all rude because until you walk a mile you have no idea. We do try and keep the distractions to other diners a minimum as much as possible to though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• She was Extemely rude! Not long ago my mother and I went out for lunch and my 2 yr old DS had decided to act his age, not horrible, but I had to remind him to use his inside voice 2-3 times, and a lady made a comment. I then explained to her that this is exactly why he is out at lunch and not at dinner, because he is learning how he is expected to behave in a resturant. I then explained he was 2 and his bad behavior was based on his age and he needed a nap, but what was her excuse? Several mom's let out a quiet cheer and she left red faced and in a huff. LOL!
    Don't let one crabby person ruin your lunches with your friend and your children. I'd happily sit by you.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You were definately in the right. I often take my 3 year old son out to a restaurant, and let him play, climb all over the chairs, run around, whatever. Maybe it's rude, but he's 3, and most people find him charming. He's a very polite child, says please, and thank you, and asks nicely for things. My theory is kids are kids and have a right to eat out at restaurants too. As long as they're not screaming up a storm and climbing in the laps of strangers, who cares?
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• This lady actually told my friend after my friend said that our kids were in a special education program....that "maybe they shouldn't be in a restaurant." Ugggg....I thought that was the worst!

My friend mainly went back up to her after she walked away b/c she was in shock and didnt say anything the first time....I was the one who said the first thing...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• She was definitely rude and good for your friend for standing up for your kids. Some people need to be put in their place.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• very rude, especially since she did not know your situation.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 4:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2010