Fruit Fly and Stem Cell research?

What do you say? What does your religion/belief say? If those differ, how do you reconcile it? Both have potential to provide vital research and the best chance for cures to many diseases and conditions.

roachiesmom

Asked by roachiesmom at 3:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Tricky. Well, for starters, my religion says NOTHING against fruit fly research! LOL.

I am pro-life/choice (meaning while I hate abortion, I'm not about to dictate to others what they should do). I do, however, understand the wonderful things that stem cell research could do for us. While I would find it disgusting for a woman to get pregnant and say "Hey, I think I'll get an abortion just so I can donate it to science", I would hope that if a woman were to decide to get an abortion for personal reasons, that we could at least learn something from the tragedy!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• You do realize that the most promising stem cell research that is currently being done is being done with ADULT stem cells, don't you? I know most people don't realize that and think all stem cell research uses aborted embryos. Not true. There are many companies out there finding ways to fix things, cure things using cells that come out of the patients own body. Cells from skin tissue and from fat tissue have both been used and clinical trials are underway for several conditions.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I only knew a little bit about that Kaycee, but thanks! I only answered the question in regards to aborted embryos because I thought that's what she was referring to.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 5:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• As kaycee said adult stem cell research has provided so many therapies that are used today. There are also stem cells in umbilical cords. I just think it's wrong to create and kill a human being (which is was embryonic stem cell research does) even if it is for a good cause.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I don't know about the fly, but I don't like the idea of using body parts for studies. I did hear on the news the other night that over in Germany they have found that methadone(the same thing they use for herion or drug addicts) can kill the cancer cells of lukemia!! I just wonder if it would kill other cancer cells too. They were just in the first phase of using it on a woman. My sister has brain cancer, ovarian cancer, throat, and lung cancer. She is very very sick, I only wish they could find something to help her. I have been praying and praying for her, but I will accept whatever answer God gives, whether it be "yes" or "no". He has his reasons, this I do know. Her name is Laura. If anyone wants to pray for her. I Thank you if you do from the bottom of my Heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 8:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• If you want to know more about stem cells - this place should help:
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/49206

I dont have relligious problems with any research.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 3:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2008