When was the last time you contacted an elected representative?

Why did you contact them and do you think your voice made a difference?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 2:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Last week. It's disheartening in a way that my voice doesn't change those who have differing opinions. My Senators and Representative almost always vote the same way as I would.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Actually, I'll be having dinner with one on Thursday along with maybe another 100 people. Election season is around the corner once again, will my voice make a difference? I don't really know.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My neighbor is a Senator I see him around the block and we have had him over to dinner a few times. I voice my opinion to him often as do others in the neighborhood.lol He is a good guy actually.
    Anonymous

• A couple of weeks ago ... regarding both S 510 and TSA.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 3:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't think it's a fundraiser, it's like a town hall meeting type thing, we paid for dinner at $15 a head, but it's prime rib so I doubt he will make any money. This is local politics, good ol' boy meet and greet. His granny lives across the street from us, so he's more of a neighbor than a politician.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• hmm. I haven't called since the end of November.

Maybe I'm slacking. The secretaries in Dent's office recognize my voice. And they noticed when I moved. Nice girls. Specter doesn't answer his phone, so I'm looking forward to a little change there.

Does it make a difference? Not with Dent. We've agreed a lot, to be sure. But at least I'm reinforcing his decisions.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• During the health care bill debates I emailed both senators from our state, neither listened to myself or the majority of constituents from our state. The one senator that was up for re-election this past November did not win, I emailed him to let him know he did not get my vote since he did not vote (on the health care bill) the way that the majority of the people in our state wanted. The other senator (when up for re-election) will also not get my vote and I will email him when he loses to tell him why he did not get my vote.

tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 3:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I spoke to Joe Sestak last year and a few months ago about foreclosures in our area....he sent me alot in information to pass along, it was very helpful

My Mom always speaks to (a republican!!) Nick Micozzi....he is always helpful.

In the summer I sent a letter to Gov. Rendell (actually twice) about the budget and cuts they were considering for the libraries....it did help...our library started a campaign...in the end some smaller cuts were made and they could still stay open.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I believe it was last year, I contacted Mitch McConnell and John Yarmuth from KY but i'm having a royal brain problem and can't remember what it was for. lol. I got the same generic ass reply from the both of them. I don't think it made any difference.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 3:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• about a week ago. It makes a difference in that he knows what I think and how I want him to vote. If enough people have my opinion, then he votes that way. I don't expect him to vote a certain way just because I called. But, pair me with others, then we have a chance. I don't write Sen. Kay Hagan. She votes straight down the party line.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2010