What do DHS and WalMart have in common?

Press Office
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Dec. 6, 2010

BIG SIS INVADES WAL-MART:  'IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING'

WASHINGTON -- Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Janet Napolitano today announced the expansion of the Department’s national “If You See Something, Say Something” campaign to hundreds of Walmart stores across the country—launching a new partnership between DHS and Walmart to help the American public play an active role in ensuring the safety and security of our nation.

“Homeland security starts with hometown security, and each of us plays a critical role in keeping our country and communities safe,” said Secretary Napolitano. “I applaud Walmart for joining the ‘If You See Something, Say Something’ campaign. This partnership will help millions of shoppers across the nation identify and report indicators of terrorism, crime and other threats to law enforcement authorities.”

The “If You See Something, Say Something” campaign—originally implemented by New York City’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority and funded, in part, by $13 million from DHS’ Transit Security Grant Program—is a simple and effective program to engage the public and key frontline employees to identify and report indicators of terrorism, crime and other threats to the proper transportation and law enforcement authorities.

More than 230 Walmart stores nationwide launched the “If You See Something, Say Something” campaign today, with a total of 588 Walmart stores in 27 states joining in the coming weeks. A short video message, available here, will play at select checkout locations to remind shoppers to contact local law enforcement to report suspicious activity.

Over the past five months, DHS has worked with its federal, state, local and private sector partners, as well as the Department of Justice, to expand the “If You See Something, Say Something” campaign and Nationwide SAR Initiative to communities throughout the country—including the recent state-wide expansions of the “If You See Something, Say Something” campaign across Minnesota and New Jersey. Partners include the Mall of America, the American Hotel & Lodging Association, Amtrak, the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, sports and general aviation industries, and state and local fusion centers across the country.

In the coming months, the Department will continue to expand the “If You See Something, Say Something” campaign nationally with public education materials and outreach tools designed to help America’s businesses, communities and citizens remain vigilant and play an active role in keeping the county safe.

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 3:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Walmart employees barely notice the CUSTOMERS, now we want them profiling? Okee Dokee.

SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 3:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• What do DHS and WalMart have in common?

They both suck.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Wow. I feel safer already. *sarcasm*

I guess this is what the meeting between Obama and the heads of Walmart was about. And there I went hoping it had something to do with the economy and jobs. Not that Walmart is a good employer, but I digress.

And yet again, this administration has me speechless and not surprised.  If it weren't so pathetic it might actually be funny.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• LOL, so the snoopy people that already look at how others are paying for their food will have a reason now. LOLOLOLOL!

"Put that ribeye back in the meat case, it's a matter of national security. How do you plan on paying for that? Not with my tax dollars I hope."

Good grief, I can't wait to see the PA threads in this section once they roll out this program.  How funny.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I guess that doesn't include illegal immigrants. Of course they are just here to make a living, they would never be a threat.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• DHS wants us to look for suspicious/criminal acts while we are at Walmart?!? Well, I guess we do have plenty of time while standing in line at the ONE or TWO checkouts that MIGHT be open during the busy rush hours. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Just what we need. I can see it now. Millions of reports because some brown guy bought duct tape. Or someone in a hijab bought some plastic wrap.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Big Brother is watching you!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Who would have guessed that our government would outsource Homeland Security to Walmart? LOL. I swear, you can't write these headlines.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• They both sell crappy junk.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2010