Are there any places to donate to that go directly to people instead of thrift store drop offs??

I want to donate my sons untouched stuffed animals and gently used books and toys but can't seem to find anything that isn't like a thrift store drop off... which is fine, but I would rather see families who personally get these things for the kids rather than having to buy them.. anyone know of charities like this?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Holidays

• My oldest DD & I donate all our stuff to our local women & childrens shelter. They most often have to leave their homes with just the clothes on their backs. Its tax deductible. And, it's not sold! It's GIVEN to the women & children right there in the shelter.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• try local churches
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 3:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• There is no charity that does this. They are always the middleman. The only way would be for you to give them to needy families yourself and not go through a charity.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes, try a church, or a school, or local welfare office they all might know a family that could use it or call American Red Cross or better yet go to a city homeless shelter and see if they will take them, many sizes are homeless.
    nwaskie

Answer by nwaskie at 3:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• @hotmama330 - Local Domestic Violence shelters such as I was talking about have NO middle man. They take the donations in and it is given to women and children who have come to them to seek shelter from abusive situations.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010