Will getting my dog neutered or spayed calm them down?

I have a male and a female dog. I wanted to breed them. After she went into heat the first time all hell broke loose, they lost all of the discipline and disobey all the training methods. They have become unruly, and I dont want to breed anymore because I think it will be a mistake. They also keep running away, by pushing out the fence, and the male keeps marking his territory all over the place.
I have an appointment to get them spayed and neutered this month. I am hoping this helps, if not I will have to get rid of my dogs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Pets

• yes,but it will take a few weeks for the hormones to stop affecting them after the surgery

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It will help to an extent...the fighting may cut back and the running off may lessen. Your biggest benefit would be the health benefits. Re-training will still be necessary since you may have some behaviors that started as natural and have become learned.
    Anonymous

• I am going to sign up for obedience class again when i get the extra money to do so. I will also put up a privacy fence in the back yard. They dont fight at all. They are just wild and unruly beasts!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes, especially helpful with your male's behaviors. The training will be much more effective without the hormones running through them. However, it takes about a month or so for the system to clear the hormone levels. I would go back to some cage or some sort of confinement training if possible for the next few months. The neutering should make a noticeable difference, and the pets will be calmer, more attached to you and easier to handle in training class.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have always done the crate training. When I tried to get rid of the crates for the space the dogs went crazy and started tearing things up. That told me they were not ready so I put the cages back up.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes it definitely helped my bulldog, Alfie. He was super frisky!
    daisydays171

Answer by daisydays171 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• They will calm down and get fat. That has been my experience with it.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 10:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Sometimes it will settle them down and sometimes it doesnt not so much hormonal wise but personality wise...lol
    My mom adopted a pug....she is crazy! We thought spaying her would help? Nope she is still crazy! lol
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I would most definately get them fixed. It will help. I would also find a way to separate them for a while
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 9, 2010