Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Paid Family Leave for child?

My coworker suggested I try to get California Paid Family Medical Leave in order to take care of my son and not worry about work. I am a single mom and my son was diagnosed with ADHD. It's bad. It may be something other than ADHD but he gets kicked out of schools, suspended, violent. It could be something else but I literally do not have the time to advocate for my son like I could if I was off work. I already miss a lot of work for his therapy and doctor appointments. My son is literally regressing in front of my eyes. Does anyone know if Paid Family Leave could apply to me? Any similar stories?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

Answers (9)
  • I really doubt it. Look into it though.

    Answer by mompam at 3:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • My state only has FMLA which is unpaid. You might wanna check out this website

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • I don't know about PAID family leave. But, I did take FMLA when I gained custody of my twin nephews. It wasn't a paid leave. The only way to get paid for FMLA is if you utilize your vacay and sick time. At least when I did it. The law simply kept my job for me while I was on leave. The company could not permanently replace me. Check with your company's HR department to see what is truly available for you.

    Answer by specialwingz at 3:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • I don't have the first clue, but I'm sorry you're going through this =(

    Answer by mainemusicmaker at 4:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • I'm sorry, mama. I don't know, but it's definitely something worth looking in to. Best of luck.

    Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

  • I don't really think so, but talk to your HR manager.

    Answer by Shanna84 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • Um, no. Someone is pulling your chain.

    Answer by Pnukey at 11:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • talk to HR. I think you can taje time off, but not paid

    Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:34 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • Well if u cant do that try applying for ssi an foodstamps an maybe even section 8 it wont pay what u make but it will help and it will help u get by maybe even a part time job or work from home i no what ur going threw my daughter has lost of problems i work at night so i can be with her all day for therapy and all the appointments good luck :)

    Answer by premiemom18 at 5:09 AM on Dec. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.