My 2 Year Old still talks baby talk and hardly any english!

My 2 year old son Aden only says about 4 words, mama, dada, hot, and baby. He babbles like crazy though and makes all kinds of sounds. He responds well and understands when I tell him to do something. For example, if I tell him to go get his ball he will run to his room and bring it back to me. He can also point out his eyes, nose, mouth, and ears. So I don't necessarily think it's autism or hearing loss. My pediatrician said that maybe I should get his hearing tested because he doesn't say a lot but a lot of other people tell me he is probably fine. I was wondering if anyone has some good advice!

jajordan113

Asked by jajordan113 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you're really worried about it you can take him to a speech therapist. They will do an evaluation and let you know if he qualifies for services. I believe they're free in some areas.

Is he communicating in other ways? Does he point to things he wants/needs? Non-verbal communication is the precursor to talking.

You could try to teach him sign language. There are many videos and books on it. My daughter learned sign before she learned to speak. Eventually the sign phased out and she now talks and only uses two signs (though she uses spoken words with them). You can teach a child to sign as young as a year (some say younger).

Be patient. A lot of children are just late talkers. My son was and it was like one day he just started talking. He hasn't shut up since! lol
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 10:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My son does the same. He is just now (almost 3) starting to talk regular words and try to form sentences. Early Head Start wants to do tests saying that they think he may have a developmental delay. But, no, I think it's because of shows like Teletubbies. They don't talk english, they babble and my son LOVES the teletubbies. I would just talk words to him and have him repeat you as often as possible. Teach him the words and have him repeat because eventually he'll get it. Good luck.
    andi1984

Answer by andi1984 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My BF's twins are just over three, and just started to really talk. I am sure he is fine. If he understands directions, his hearing should be okay. Some kids are just slower. I think singing to kids helps a ton, though. It makes it easier to memorize words. Just keep talking, and reading and singing to him. He will get it.

Oh, I have a friend who's son preferred to sign over talking. He could talk as a last resort, but would always sign first. SO if you have taught signs, that might be the issue
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 11:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• my son will be 2 on thursday. he says those same 4 words plus doggie(gogie), no, and drink. i talked to his dr about it last week and he said i need to get in touch with a speach therapist. alot of moms have just told me that boys dont start talking as soon or as much as girls(from all my friends who have girls i think that myself) so yea i know what ur going through.
    hottmama71006

Answer by hottmama71006 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Do you read to him regularly? I read to my two year old every day. Each page that I read I ask her to point out certain objects and I always ask her to repeat things when I tell her what they are. She really seems to like the one on one time and she gets excited about learning. Try it out.
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 12:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Yes, hearing test, they always order that when a child wont' talk much.

If you dont' want your son use baby talk then stop responds to his baby talk. Tell him let's talk like a big boy, have him repeat when you say. if he wants juice, he will have to say juice before he gets it. If he wants a kiss, he will have to say kiss.

Then you can extend the sentence by adding I want a kiss, mommy. If he refuses to do so, tell him you don't understand baby talk.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 6:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2008