If I raise my children with my atheist beliefs...is that shoving it down their throat?

Let me just add that I do NOT raise my children telling them they need to be atheist. I explain that I, their mother, does not believe in any God/s...but it's up to them to decide as they grow.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• It is shoving religion down kid's throats when their religious parents bring them to church every Sunday?

Your way is how I am raising my daughter.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• referring to any religion or non religion, i think you should raise your children the way you believe when they are small. take them to the same church or instill the same ideas. BUT teach them also that everyone has different beliefs. and when and if they decide to go a different route when they're older, accept it and let them believe in what they want to believe.
    Anonymous

• Depends... how would you react if they were invited to s church service or ritual by a friend as young children? What if they liked it and wanted to go more often?
    Anonymous

• Let me just add that I do NOT raise my children telling them they need to be atheist. I explain that I, their mother, does not believe in any God/s...but it's up to them to decide as they grow.

Then no. If you were putting down their questions or interests in religion then I'd say so. But if you're letting them believe what they want while simply giving them your opinion when they ask for it then no.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• You can't raise them telling them that you do not believe in god for such and such. But if they ask if they can go to church with friends or what not, you should let them because they need to make their own choices and you need to be supportive of not matter what they choose.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 3:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No, I don't think so. I am Catholic and they go to church as I do. if they want to go another route they can when they get to a certain age.
    Anonymous

• Absolute, if you child asked to go to a Secular Humanist meetings, would you be averse?

No, shoving beliefs down a child's throat is called indoctrination. Something both you and I are desperately trying to avoid. Gotta love how the double standard always comes into play with families who choose to raise their children devoid of religion, in a world where common sense, reason, reality, and critical thought guide us through life's decisions.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• no...I think "shoving down their throats" is when they question your (generic) beleifs and just because it's different from yours (generic) you do not allow them to explore that religion. This can be applied to all religions, athiesm, and agnoticism (sp?). What you're doing is fine. Here's an example: My BIL, well, I'm not sure what he is, but he won't allow my sister or their son to participate in ANYTHING even remotely Christian even when his son is crying (he just turned 4) because all his cousins get to go to a family day at the church (we all attend the same church). He even got upset when my sister put him in the childrens building for our moms graduation from 1st year bible school because he learned about God/Jesus, etc. He comes from a Christian Science background, though he never was involved with it, and one day his parents had a bad experience and now they've turned away. THAT is "shoving it down their throat"
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No, you're not. Personally, I will teach my child about religious and non-religious perspectives as he gets old enough to understand, but nothing says you have to do that. Even if you chose not to expose your children to any religions, they would still make their own choices as adults just as everyone else's kids do. If you (or anyone else) said you wouldn't love them or accept them if they chose something different from your beliefs, then I might wonder.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No, I don't consider sharing your beliefs with your children as shoving it down their throats. Our faith is part of our home life, but I want my kids to understand that there are so many different ways that people interpret the unseen universe around us. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010