would you do this and risk getting fired? were they right to fire her?

Woman Fired For Running Background Checks On Dates

By Tom Miller November 8, 2010

An English woman working in the Northumbria police station has been deemed guilty of "a cal­amitous error of judgment." Her crime? After becoming employed by the police station, she discovered the awesome power of the police database… for running background checks on the fellas she was dating.

According to Metro, the community support officer (one Ms. Lucy Bevan) began her work for John Law with a man in her life but, when that operation soured, she began "Googling" prospective manfriends using the Police National Computer. Apparently, it got pretty addicting. Per the investigation, this woman once looked up a man 151 times in a single month. Her secret mission ran aground when she let it slip to one gentleman caller that she'd checked out his personal information on the old computing machine.

Ms. Bevan's run with the Northumbria po-po ended after two and a half years and a £1,100 fine (English for money). She even used the system to snoop on a potential mother-in-law.

Frankly, Googling a date has become de rigueur, and I'm guessing that—if we're being totally honest with both ourselves and the English taxpayers—many of us would have taken a gander at this data if we thought we wouldn't get caught. On one hand, in some crazy world, a person shouldn't have anything to hide, right? On the other hand, here on Earth, it's both frowned upon AND considered bad form to abuse access to private data. Please Don't Google Me

Personally, I like to do a credit check on any prospective date. Her spending habits and credit-worthiness don't really make any difference to me. I just like to know that her credit card will go through when I "forget my wallet."

Have you ever Googled a date? Do you think women are more likely to snoop than dudes?

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 3:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• no
    Onenamillion

Answer by Onenamillion at 3:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't do it and she deserves to be fired.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:55 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• They were absolutely right to fire her. It was a gross misuse of her position. You can Google dates, run simple background checks (most communities have public records available on the Internet), etc. That's no excuse to misuse your company's resources. When I worked in finance, I had access to run credit reports. I wouldn't even run one on myself, because it wasn't in the course of doing business.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• She deserves to be fired.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Several years ago I worked for a company that did background checks for landlords. We had access to criminal records as well as credit reports,etc. The service we got our criminal reports from was a monthly fee, not a per report fee so I could have gone crazy checking people if I wanted. Did I? No, because that would have been unethical in my job. I signed an agreement when I started that I would not use the databases for personal use. It was tempting a few times, like when DH's license was suspended without us even knowing, but I didn't do it. I needed my job more than I needed the info.

Now, if for some reason (God forbid) DH and I are no longer together, and I decide to date again, you better believe I'm doing a background check. I no longer work for that company so there would be no "temptation." There's a company here in NC that has a decent web site where one can access NC criminal records.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I agree she should have been fired. She was using company resources for personal reasons. I have never considered running a background check on a potential date. Isn't that a little invasive and paranoid? What ever happened to good old-fashioned "getting to know each other"?
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Wow, there's a difference in looking once to see if he is a crazy axe murderer and looking 151 times.

She's a stalker.

I think women are the more curious out of the two and women would look more. I would.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes, she deserves it
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 4:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• This is abuse of power. When you are hired by a police department you are explain that this is against the law. NO I wouldn't do it because it is grounds for being fired. :) You can do a background check on line, you don't have to use a police department computer for that
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 4:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It almost becomes "an abuse of power". Yes, they should have fired her.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2010