My five month old uses me as a pacifier?

Its getting to the point where I have to stay up with him or he'll start crying. He still wakes up and won't sleep for more than five hours. Should I let him try to fall asleep? I'm so tired today, I'm short and feeling pissed off at him and I know its being tired that's doing all the talking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take his blankie and put it in the dryer for a few min to get it warm, put him in his crib and turn on some nice soft music for him. maybe that would make him happy. Just take a break, go get in the tub and relax. When ever you start feeling like this you need to take a break form him. Even if he starts crying you should let him do it once in a while.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 3:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I agree with bubblebean. My son was to the point where he wouldn't fall asleep unless my husband or I were holding him. I got so tired of it that I decided, one day, I was going to start a routine. I started laying my son down at 11am, 4pm and 9:30pm for naps and bed time. Sure, he cried himself to sleep the first week or so, but shortly after that he realized that I meant business. Now when I say "nap time" or "bed time" he lays his head down on my shoulder till he gets in his crib.

And, any time you are feeling short with your baby, just walk away, count to ten, then come back, if you can. It IS okay to let your baby cry for a short bit. Sometimes, we need a little break and that's okay. If you live close to your parents or a close friend, call them up and ask if they can watch your baby for an hour or so just so you can get a nap or a small break.

Good Luck with everything!!
    katespring

Answer by katespring at 3:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2008