Can you explain your religion?

I am extremely interested in learning more about everyones different religions and beliefs. There are soo many that I don't really understand or have never heard of. Please enlighten me :)

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 3:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• – collapse
    GOD, explanation enough?
    nwaskie

Answer by nwaskie at 4:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• well im a catholic but i dont know much i have to ask my grandmother from my mom side & my grandmother from my dad side is jehovah witness
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'm an Atheist.

I believe in the inherent ability of humans to simply be good. We are equipped with compassion, empathy, common sense, and are perfectly capable of living a moral life without an external religious code of conduct.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My god is the all encompassing energy. My life path is set forth for me. When I'm heading in the right direction,I'm rewarded. When I stray,I recieve messages on how to return to said path. There are no coincidences. Everything happens for a reason,good and bad. Every experience teaches us something. It is up to me to figure out what god is trying to tell me. I thank my god for what I have. I ask my god for what I want/need and if I'm meant to have it,it is delivered. My prayer is conversation with my god as you would with a friend. My faith does not require me to attend a church or to share with others. My faith is my own personal journey. I do not infringe on others beliefs. I do not push my faith on others.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I believe in the Divine(male and female). I believe they put the stuff together that started creation then let it go on about its own way(evolution). I believe in rebirth. I believe in doing good and being of service to mankind. I believe in the power of magick and that we can work with the energies in and around us. I believe that we are here to learn and grow and should be open minded and hearted enough to do so.

I believe humans can be both powerfully good and powerfully bad and no supernatural force(aka devil)can tempt or control you one way or the other. Its about YOU(generally speaking)and what you do with your life.

Im sure that there is more but that gives ya an idea.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i was raised Lutheran, our traditions/rituals are derived from Catholicism (confirmation, communions, mass) but most of our beliefs are from Western Christianity (we have Pastors, not Priests)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I am a Pantheist which means different things to different people, but essentially I believe that if there is something called God, then it's equivalent to the entire universe or nature.

Pantheism

I also practice Buddhism--whether this is a religion or just a philosophy or way of life depends on perspective and the definition of religion. There are many different traditions in Buddhism, but they are all based on the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama. Budda means 'awake' or enlightened; anyone could become a Buddha. The Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path are a couple important aspects. Here are a couple links with very basic introductory info:

About Buddhism

Buddhism Core Beliefs
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• NWASKIE if you didn't want to answer you didn't have to. I'm not looking to bash anyone, I really am interested.

bUTTERFLYBLUE and AMARANTH does your belief have a name or is it more of a personal spiritual thing? I ask becaus ei want to be able to understand what it means when someone says they are Wiccan or something you know. Great explanations by the way , thank you
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• This is specific to Asatru, which is a subdivision of Heathenry (like Methodist is to Protestant), but it covers the basics enough.  There are a few fine points that differ, but it's a basic introduction:

http://www.asatru-u.org/beginner/asau-beginner-outline.htm

And a simpler breakdown of the virtues:

http://www.friggasweb.org/nvirtues.html

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I believe all paths are equally valid in connecting us to the Divine and one another, that God is love and compassion, that we are called to also be loving and compassionate, and that no one will fail to receive His love and grace.

That's a very basic over simplification. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2010