Any momma's have a hand gun?

I have a little S&W .38 special that I holster on whenever I have to walk the dog or take trash out at night. It stays in a locked combination safe away from my kids any other time. It's ok to open carry where I live without a license, but you have to have a license to conceal carry. In the winter my coat covers my hip where the holster is, do you suppose it's ok to have it covered if I'm just walking the block? Or do I need a new coat, or keep the one I have open? I want to feel safe AND abide the law...

Winter1derland

Asked by Winter1derland at 4:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Check on your local laws, or just call the police department and ask about the coat covering your weapon - my understanding is that it has to be in plain sight.

I have a .22 Ruger. It's not a powerful weapon, but I'm a good shot. It's kept locked up, my kids don't know where my gun safe is. I can get to it quickly should I need it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• that is a good question. i don't have one but i want to get one for my own safety also.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• If the law says it's ok to open carry, it needs to be visible otherwise that's considered concealed carry. In order to avoid the trouble of trying to distinguish this with a police officer I would find a way to carry it where it isn't hidden.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have quite a few pistols. I have a conceal carry permit though. Its almost always on me, or in my car. I'd either get a permit or find a way to carry it in the open. I have a leg holster that I've worn and it keeps the pistol right at my hands and you can clearly see it.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• EIther call your local police dept or Friends of the NRA they will know the answer to all of your questions.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 4:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• no.. i don't .
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i dont have 1 i dont like guns but my stepdad does
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't know but I'm getting one soon. Each state is different such as in Washington state you are allowed to carry a weapon and doesn't need to be hidden. Here in Utah you can't have the weapon showing besides if your law enforcement
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• DH has 2 guns, i have no idea what they are. They are black and they look like police guns (as opposed to cowboy guns).

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:20 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have a .38 S&W also and I love it! I don't carry it with me though so it stays locked in our gun safe.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 6, 2010