My child has verbal apraxia...does anyone have suggestions on tools to buy to help her...was looking at The Baby Bumblebee DVDs..

DiamondDust75

Asked by DiamondDust75 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not familiar w verbal apraxia so I went online n read it's when children struggle to refine the phonemes. First, have u contacted ur local regional center for speech therapy. They should provide ur child w services. Also some activities I'm familiar with involve blowing. For example, blowing bubbles, blowing cotton balls n doing a race, blowing thru a staw into a cup of water. Also putting Vaseline on their lips n having them kiss a mirror. Focus on puckering.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My best friends son has it also and she contacted her local Easter Seals and her son gets FREE one on one speech with a tutor. She caught it when he was I think 18 or 20 months and started speech right away and now he is 5 and I can understand him well!! So, definetly check that out because you'll be amazed at how it helps and also she started him on Fish Oil gummies and with in like a week he started saying more words and she still gives him that and now he gets speech once a week and he is doing great!!
    NaturalMomOfTwo

Answer by NaturalMomOfTwo at 5:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• There is a group here for verbal apraxia that you can look into. I would suggesting having her drink through a straw. I second the suggestions of the other two. The supplement to try would be a vitamin called Speak. It's supposed to be really great. My daughter also has apraxia. She has two hours of speech therapy a week.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2010