Are dental fillings supposed to hurt?

When I was a teen I got TONS of dental fillings. I never had a check up where I didn't need one. That was 10 years ago, and I haven't needed one since. This morning I got one of those fillings replaced. The numbness is just now starting to wear off, and my tooth hurts SOOO bad! I don't remember pain at all! Is it because getting one replaced is more invasive, or is something wrong? Are they supposed to hurt, and I just don't remember it?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Health

• Call your dentist... it shouldn't hurt.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't remember mine hurting bad. I wonder if they went to deep and and got to close to the nerve by accident... I could be way off. It's been a long time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Not really... maybe for a day or two, if it persists, you may have really needed a root canal. ((some)) dentists out there will still do a filling instead of sending you elsewhere for a root canal.

Did they do the laser treatment to it?

One of my cavities were filled, had the laser thing done.. and it hurts more than it did prior to ever letting that dentist touch my mouth. He said it's close to needing a root canal but if I use the laser it will stop that. So I thought save money great.. my tooth didn't even hurt prior too which sucks, because now it's sensitive to everything including water.

If you have more pain see a different dentist maybe? :D

good luck and sorry.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I used to work in a dental office and there can be some discomfort/pain. They are drilling and poking so it can be sore afterward but I would still contact the doctor and tell him what you are feeling. Sometimes the filing may need to be adjusted also, it may be sitting too high for your bite and that can cause pain. So it really just depends on what you are feeling.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I would call your dentist. I have had some where they haven't gotten the height adjusted right and so when you bite down the filling is hitting first and eventually it will bruise the gum around the tooth. But DEFINITELY call your dentist.
    badmoparmom

Answer by badmoparmom at 4:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• It will be sensative to cold/hot for a few months, but any other kinda pain, no.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No, call the dentist.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Call the dentist and make another appointment.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 7:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010