Do you talk politics with your children?

Do they share your views?

We talk about what's on the news all the time. He's pretty arguementative for a 4y but we usually agree in the end.

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 4:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. Even if in reading books... For instance~ reading A Christmas Carole or even Tale of Two Cities with my 8 year old. It brings about many political/social/historically 'based' questions.. We travel often and will discuss history, which also leads into some political questions. Keeping it age appropriate while sparking interest and a desire for them to ask and learn more~ that's what makes learning fun!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I do with my 13yo. He comes up with some pretty good questions! He shares the same views as I, but I have always encouraged him to do his own research and come up with his own opinions.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I do with my 15 yr old, the other 2 are a bit young. We have taught him to be open minded and accepting of all races/cultures/religions/etc. So far he is pretty Liberal like me but time will tell.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 4:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No, at 3 and 5 the most I'd get out of them is if they think one guy looks Scary or not (and in the case of my 3 year old any man that isn't Daddy is "Scary").
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• After a fashion.

During the 2008 election the school was being fairly one sided about info, and they sure as hell weren't favoring McCain. So, I made sure BOTH sides got fair play.

She came down McCain in the end. I don't go step by step each day...that's mostly spent on the alphabet, numbers, reading, etch.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• My oldest is 4, and frankly he couldn't care less at this point. We aren't generally big on Politics in this house - I'm the only one that gives a screw... But as they get older I won't NOT talk about it - if that makes sense.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Not until the 2010 Election. My son was very interested in it, as was alot of his friends at school. The Election has caused him to change his pick for a college Major from Music to Political Science.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 5:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Yes, but they are 26, 24, and 16. They not only share my views, but they also go to the rallies. I don't make them go. They are old enough to decide whether they want to go or not. They decide which issues they find important. My oldest son called me today and said the the amount he pays in taxes depress him. He made $1,100 and took home $600. He wants to know how the people writing the tax code expect him to survive on $1,200 a month. I told him to call, write, call, ........... vote!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• not really as she just turned 3. I'll tell her who people are and about things that happen only if she's able to understand and won't make her scared.
    I share my views with my parents though and that is never pretty, now that I crossed over to the dark side (was raised pretty liberal democrat now a conservative republican) lol!!
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• No, my kids are still gathering info, they do not know enough to have more than a perfunctory opinion. (2 and 5) I try to tell them what the president does, what congress and senate does, about the states, etc. They still are learniing the states and trying to comprehend that there is a fed vs state gov! :)
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010