Can anyone recommend a book on the foster care/social services system?

I've been searching for a book that just discusses the foster care/social services system, corruption, ineffectiveness or effectiveness, et cetera, and am having trouble finding one that is not a text book. Maybe I'm not using the correct search terms?? Anyone know of a good book that discusses this subject? Anyone read a textbook for leisure before? A text book is really expensive.

amybaby_19

Asked by amybaby_19 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Shopping

• Foster/Adoptive Parenting or Foster Parenting/ Foster Care are two of the groups I belong to on here. You may be able to google for blogs and such, but I find the groups on cafemom to be the best. Join and ask them where their articles are being published. They are super helpful and friendly. :)
    Sorry so slow to get back, it's a busy life I am living as a foster and adoptive parent! :)
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 1:59 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• You'd be better off looking for articles from professional journals at your local library. You'll get more current information.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I can tell you from a childs point of view.I aged out of NY's foster care system. I've been in all different types of homes.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 11:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I have full intentions of starting a book in the new year about our journey and how it was not all roses on the way to adoption. If you are curious, there is an awesome foster/adopt group on here and we hide nothing about the system. We keep some specifics private along with childrens names until adoption is final. There are a few ladies in the group that have blogs and write for online pubs. Pop in and ask away! :)
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 2:03 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I noticed a post from a member in the foster group and this is the title of her book. : 97 Pictures of Kids on my Wall
    It is available on Amazon.com and reminded me that is a pretty good resource for adoption books. Hope you can check it out! :)
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 10:24 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Thanks, everyone! love2snorkel, how do I find the group or the online publications? I am very remotely exposed to the child welfare system/social services system, and it has become a very interesting subject matter for me of whether this system works effectively or not, and what parts of it do and don't. That's why I wanted to find a book that would show perspectives on the system, either positively or negatively. I consider myself a constant learner, and am always divng into new things.
    amybaby_19

Comment by amybaby_19 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• And to specifically find these groups on cafemom, search foster in the upper right hand corner and that will pull up groups, answers, journals and more. :)
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 2:00 AM on Dec. 11, 2010