Speaking in tounges

Do you believe it's possible to speak in tounges? If you do, do you believe anyone can "learn" the ability just by asking God? Or do you believe it is a "gift" from God? Or do you believe in it at all?

What are your thought and beliefs?

Conley639

Asked by Conley639 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is an incredible blessing, and gift from God. We have a lady in our church, and many Sundays, she will speak in tongues,and just as much of a blessing, is we have individuals who can translate the words she speaks, so we are all able to hear exactly what God wants us to know. It's incredible. I cry every time I am priveledged to hear it. God is SO GOOD!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 5:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I don't believe it. Not to say it isn't true, I don't know anyone personally that has done/seen it done, but I don't believe. I've read up on several of the lesser-known congregations, especially in Appalachia, and many of them believe that talking in tongues and handling serpents prove their worthiness/connection to god. None of the researchers were able to validate any of the reports. They did mention that a lot of people are bitten by rattlesnakes though. :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I believe its a gift from God, I think it just comes on when you are praising him.

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I speak in tongues .... it is considered a heavenly language... the gift of tongues is different.. it is speaking in a known language that you have never spoken in before and I could tell you stories of this happening and people who speak in that language coming to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

It is only gibberish to those who lack the understanding of what tongues is really all about.
    For me it is a personal connection with my Father in Heaven. I can pray or prophecy in tongues perfectly if I am not sure what is to be said in english. Singing in Tongues is gorgeous and only offends those that do not understand.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Tongues is just made up gibberish. It is not a real language or anything.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 4:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Dont have experience but def beleive its a gift
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I believe that people believe in it. It is a documented hysterical phenomena.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Forgot to put this in - several religions (Quakers and Amish for sure) believe that when you speak in tongues it is the devil's work, not god's work. Thought I'd mention that.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• i have heard of being slain in the spirit, and speaking in tongues...it's like a cult imo and having been personally involved in churches that do both i don't have hold much merit to anyone who thinks otherwise. the several churches that i have been to that do this "tell you" what to do, when to do it, and how you should feel about it. i think it's neither god's nor the devil's work, i think it's a man-made thing. my opinion.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• The Gift of Tongues is from the Spirit and also includes interpretation of the tonges. However, all Christians have the ability to pray in the Spirit, which I do and have been doing for about 8 months. It's VERY biblical and it's amazing. I admit I was put off by it when I wasn't saved and when I was a baby, baby Christian. I love it now! It's beautiful, perfect prayer spoken through me by the Holy Spirit. It has power, and it produces results. I can only pray for a short period of time in English, but when I let the Spirit pray, I can pray for at least and hour. Remember that whatever you want it will be given to you. If you want to be baptised in the Spirit and pray in tongues, you will recieve it. Have someone annoint you and lay hands on you and open your mouth. Take your mind off of it and let it flow. Mine started with a lot of la, la, la, but progressed to what it is now. I love the differences also. Mine is VERY fast!
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2010